Thread: STL - FWD vs RWD are we at Parity?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I should be more specific and say 1.6, 1.8 and 2.x motors.
    S2

Great point that this changes at different power levels...

Also it seems that a FWD drive car often uses itself up faster, this becoming more true the higher the power level, regardless of class/category.

And while at the runoffs, I discussed this with an SCCA official involved in the rules making process... Regarding what seemed to be a steep RWD penalty in his category. I asked him, "Are you happy with a FWD car stealing every track record and having an advantage in the beginning of every race, not to mention after every restart?"

His reply with out hesitation was, "Yes."

Anyone else see something wrong with that?

Another aspect to this issue is something that we all experience when racing on track with another class. Not every car makes its speed/time in the same place. Or in other words, when that slow in the corners guy in the faster class runs you over or away from you in the straights only to hold you up in the corners... Now what if that guy was in your class?

In other words, in most situations I believe that with two cars running the same lap time with equal drivers, one FWD and one RWD, The FWD drive car will win more often.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Chris, here's the metaphor I use whenever this discussion comes up.

We have two cars, both optimal in their chassis design: Honda S2000, a well-balanced, multi-link, RWD car; and a Honda Integra, a good, multi-link, FWD car. Both are prepped to the limits of the STL regulations, and have good suspension coponents (dampuhs, bars, springs, etc).

Into each we install the same engine, a ~210whp Honda K20. Both have a 5-speed transmission, optimized final drive for the engine, and the factory gearsets are swapped optimally for each. Brakes are largest allowed for the class and are balanced to their optimum. Same 225 series tires.

We setup both cars at 2430# total weight.

We take both to a beautiful Fall weekend at Watkins Glen's long course, a track with fast straights and good handling and braking areas. Into each we insert Randy Pobst and tell him to run qualifying laps in both. He starts throwing down.

I don't think anyone would reasonably argue that the front wheel drive Integra would as fast as the RWD S2000 at the same weight. So, we start adding weight to the S2000 (in the optimal location) and re-setup the car optimally, and continue to add weight and re-setup the car to the point where Randy has them both doing the same lap times.

You and I each have to guess at what point of added weight to the RWD Honda S2000 so Randy is doing the same lap times as the FWD Honda Integra.

What's your estimate of the added weight? Don't do the math yet, just think about how much weight you'd add to the S2000 before you'd consider choosing the Integra in your next Majors race.

Now take that number and divide it by 2430.

What's your percentage?

I'll tell you mine later.

- GA