Chris, here's the metaphor I use whenever this discussion comes up.

We have two cars, both optimal in their chassis design: Honda S2000, a well-balanced, multi-link, RWD car; and a Honda Integra, a good, multi-link, FWD car. Both are prepped to the limits of the STL regulations, and have good suspension coponents (dampuhs, bars, springs, etc).

Into each we install the same engine, a ~210whp Honda K20. Both have a 5-speed transmission, optimized final drive for the engine, and the factory gearsets are swapped optimally for each. Brakes are largest allowed for the class and are balanced to their optimum. Same 225 series tires.

We setup both cars at 2430# total weight.

We take both to a beautiful Fall weekend at Watkins Glen's long course, a track with fast straights and good handling and braking areas. Into each we insert Randy Pobst and tell him to run qualifying laps in both. He starts throwing down.

I don't think anyone would reasonably argue that the front wheel drive Integra would as fast as the RWD S2000 at the same weight. So, we start adding weight to the S2000 (in the optimal location) and re-setup the car optimally, and continue to add weight and re-setup the car to the point where Randy has them both doing the same lap times.

You and I each have to guess at what point of added weight to the RWD Honda S2000 so Randy is doing the same lap times as the FWD Honda Integra.

What's your estimate of the added weight? Don't do the math yet, just think about how much weight you'd add to the S2000 before you'd consider choosing the Integra in your next Majors race.

Now take that number and divide it by 2430.

What's your percentage?

I'll tell you mine later.

- GA