Thread: Converting a SM to a full ITA ride "build"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Check with Ron M, he had his MS conversion done by Peter Florence as did Jeff Young.

Sell the 1.6 SM, buy a 1.8 SM for similar money and THEN do a conversion to ITA.

Then call me.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Sell the 1.6 SM, buy a 1.8 SM for similar money and THEN do a conversion to ITA.

Then call me.
    If I sold the car, and was dumb enough to buy another, it would be a FWD somethinorother. Hence, I'm trying to patch up what I got. We've been competitive in ITA, but I'm always looking to improve things.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I know Andy is biased and probably justifiably so. On the other hand, folks think a full prepped 1.6 ITA Miata at LRP would do very well, if not, get close to the lap record set by Andy's 1.8 ITA Miata before weight was added. Bruce Perry's 1.6 ITA Miata is living proof that that car can kick ass at WGI as well (2.17's if remember correctly).
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

I ran the same time as my track 2007 record at the 2012 NARRC Runoffs with teh extra poundage...the only thing holding the car back is a fresh driver. Getting on the track once a year just isn't good enough from a driver skill standpoint. It's a mid 1:00 car there. It's been 1:00.8 with less power.

I do think the 1.6 could be a fine LRP car but that is an anomaly of a track. Trust me when I say that a full-tilt 1.8 ITA car at WGI is a low 2:16 car all day long. All you need to have is a 'Leverone' who will drive anything anywhere to validate.

The biggest advantage is the torque output and curve of the 1.8. Something I highly value.

If you want wrong-wheel drive, go for it! Just make it an ITR car!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I ran the same time as my track 2007 record at the 2012 NARRC Runoffs with teh extra poundage...the only thing holding the car back is a fresh driver. Getting on the track once a year just isn't good enough from a driver skill standpoint. It's a mid 1:00 car there. It's been 1:00.8 with less power.

I do think the 1.6 could be a fine LRP car but that is an anomaly of a track. Trust me when I say that a full-tilt 1.8 ITA car at WGI is a low 2:16 car all day long. All you need to have is a 'Leverone' who will drive anything anywhere to validate.

The biggest advantage is the torque output and curve of the 1.8. Something I highly value.

If you want wrong-wheel drive, go for it! Just make it an ITR car!
    Even though I've never driven it, I know well enough to know that VIR and LRP are 2 entirely different tracks.

Am I wrong in thinking that the only difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 is the motor and dash? If so, couldn't I just do like I did with the carbed ITC CRX and convert it over? The GCR allows for this.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

There's a thread somewhere here on making a 1.8 ITA out of a 1.6 in ITA. It's more work than you think. Just ask Jim Alley.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.