Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon Fiber Body Parts???

86, Look at the Prod rules or maybe the local SPU, and see if that is a better fit. Many old IT cars go to Prod as the rules are much more open.
    If you have a few cars built similar , run them all in one class and have a good time. If one cars kicks ass, just add in 100# and start over.

Some buds run in the DR with glass panels on DOT tires. I can get some rules for that also.
    Feel free to E mail me or call anytime. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    So how is reading those rules to someone on the Internet - using written English - going to resolve that...? Are you implying that people on this forum are better at reading the regs to someone than them reading it themselves?

The difference here is not because of gray hair or because of geography or because of language, the difference here is regulated competition versus anarchical, pseudo-competition HPDE/street "racing". I'll wager a dollar to a donut that everyone that has "issues" with the regs came into them with a pre-disposed mindset (e.g., Jeff Lawton with his roundy-round and PCA background; our guys in PR with existing cars).

The IT regs are really not that hard to read. They may be frustrating to someone wanting to race a car with existing specific mods, but I think they're pretty damn well-written, especially if you read them for what they say ('ok, what can I do here?'), not skim them looking for what you want them to say ('OK, I've got CF fenders, where can I do that?'). The issue here is a mindset, not a problem of verbiage. It's a difference of "hey, I built this really awesome car for the street and now I want to take it racing" versus "I want to go racing, what kind of car do I need to build?"

Unless you get to someone early in their participation curve, it's the mindset you need to attack, not the regs or the mods already on the car. And the absolute core of the ITCS mindset is IIDSYCTYC.

Get that in your noggin and everything else falls right into place.

- GA

Says the guy with gray hair.................
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    86, Look at the Prod rules or maybe the local SPU, and see if that is a better fit. Many old IT cars go to Prod as the rules are much more open.
    If you have a few cars built similar , run them all in one class and have a good time. If one cars kicks ass, just add in 100# and start over.

Some buds run in the DR with glass panels on DOT tires. I can get some rules for that also.
    Feel free to E mail me or call anytime. MM
    Mike, not to say you are wrong - because you aren't - but they are asking about clarifying SCCA rules, not how to classify cars to race. if they are going to be the SCCA in PR, they are going to race SCCA cars. doing anything else just borrows our organizational principles, licensing, and insurance. and that's fine, but that's not what he's asking.

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Says the guy with gray hair.................
    Totally agree with Greg. The ITCS is short and can be read in 20 minutes. It's easy to understand. If it says you can do it, do it. If it is silent, you can't. Read the ITCS once a week for a few weeks and you'll see the structure and ideas will start to come to you.

Come here and ask questions once you have a basic understanding of what is in the ITCS.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by AE86ITA View Post
    Guys; normally people locally ask me for rules interpretation due to either language barrier or lack of time so I understand, the thing is We've been trying to show new competitors what the rules are and then there're some that just need to see it in writing.

Thanks,
    Just for the record, here is what you're looking for:

9.1.3.B "Entrants shall not be guaranteed the competitiveness of any car,
    and competition adjustments, other than as outlined in section 9.1.3.C,
    are not allowed. Other than those specifically allowed by these rules, no
    component or part normally found on a stock example of a given vehicle
    may be disabled, altered, or removed."

Emphasis added.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

ALL of that having been said, (arguably) the only productive reason we have the distinction between Regional and National events, is that regions can create classes - potentially unique classes - to suit their local context.

I'm not kidding when I say it might make sense for someone to create PRTB, PRTA, and PRTS...

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    ALL of that having been said, (arguably) the only productive reason we have the distinction between Regional and National events, is that regions can create classes - potentially unique classes - to suit their local context.

I'm not kidding when I say it might make sense for someone to create PRTB, PRTA, and PRTS...

K
    Though sometimes forgotten, it's a fine option to consider.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

I'm "younger" and "tuner crowd" (30 yrs old. Been dicking with hondas 12-13 years)

I am starting a family. I work a lot

I was attracted to IT BECAUSE I couldn't mess with the car too much. I had been tracking 9+ years when I bought my basketcase ita crx... I had FAST cars.

I love how restricted and simple the the ita crx is.

and its fun as hell

please don't change anything. Except yank 100 lbs out of my car maybe. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by adamjabaay View Post
    I'm "younger" and "tuner crowd" (30 yrs old. Been dicking with hondas 12-13 years)

I was attracted to IT BECAUSE I couldn't mess with the car too much. I had been tracking 9+ years when I bought my basketcase ita crx... I had FAST cars.

and its fun as hell

Oh, you're going to fit right in around here
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

and its fun as hell

Yea, it's a drift from the original question, but for many, the "not too much, not too little" aspect of the rules is what makes IT the right fit for lots of people. IF it ran at teh Runoffs, I'd bet it would be the right fit for lots more.

being NOT allowed to do lots of things means guys with limited time and resources (like the typ amateur racer) can concentrate on the things that ARE allowed. The more allowances, the bigger the matrix....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

and its fun as hell

x2
    The rules keep costs under control, which a lot of us younger guys need.

For me, it took me a few weeks to wrap my head around IIDSYCYC, but once you understand the premise, it's a hell of a lot easier to build a car with the existing rule book.

Personally, where you guys almost lost me was over the arguments about things like washer bottles, extraneous wires etc. I now have a better understanding of the background of the class and why those things are important to some people, but the initial reaction for me (and others) was "why would I want to get involved in a series where they spend hours debating which wires can be taken out?"

()

Sorry, but had to jump in.

I understand why is Efrain asking ( guys rather see rules that say what can't be done, but then the book would be endless and full of loopholes)

Anyway.
    Most of us have o problem with English (written or spoken) and we are not new to racing or rules ( the Club itself is 40 years old) first Grand Prix in Puerto Rico was in 1962, and we have been thru many rule books.

The main problem is that people build cars without reading the rules, or asking the tech inspectors (we just sent notice to all car drivers and whomever might be building a new car for IT or GT, to feel free to let us know and the tech inspectors will meet them and explain the rules clearly)

Then again I strongly believe we have to adapt to our reality, the cars we have available, and what people are willing to race with..
    The era of the Trans Am/GTS, GTU and RS (IMSA) racing all over the Caribbean,Central America and South America are long gone..