[Personal Opinion]

If it were up to me - and obviously, it's not - the Renesis engine would not be in STL at all. It does not meet the philosophy of this class in any regard, be it design (rotary), displacement (2.6L), or power (230hp). In my opinion, the Mazda Renesis engine is simply not an STL engine.

And I'm not opposed to the rotary part; I was the one that championed the 12A and 13B into STL, and allowing the ITA/ITS car in at IT specs. But neither of those have a snowball's chance in hell of being competitive, so it was an easy "gimme" to let them come play in STL. The 230hp Renesis? Not so much.

I was vociferously opposed, on philosophical grounds, to allowing in the Renesis when it was initially proposed, even before we had any idea of its potential in the class, and well before we saw any racing results (let alone a pair of Runoffs wins with two different drivers). I continue to oppose its inclusion in the class; in fact, I submitted a new letter after this year's Runoffs requesting it be removed (not expecting that to actually happen, but to generate discussion). Of course, I've been voted down in committee each time.

But that's all water under the bridge now.

[/Personal Opinion, but still not STAC/CRB official position -- see sig]

Whatever the CRB does will be for the good of the class, not for or against any specific car and/or engine. The Renesis in STL is a done deal, the Club is not willing to exclude it. Thus, it is a target for adjustment toward this goal of This is Natio...err, Majors racing just as every other engine is, as the CRB retains the right and responsibility to ensure reasonably-equitable competition. And we're not just POOMA'ing this stuff; we have data from all the top cars from the last two years, so we know where each of them does well...

Again, nothing has been decided, except to consider doing something. Watch Fastrack for the results.

- GA, encouraging everyone to re-read my signature...