Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re ITS prelude

Default re ITS prelude

any opinions on running a 1994 prelude 2.3 liter in ITS at 2555lbs?
    thanks rick
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Isn't that the car in which Ruck still holds (held?) the track record at Mid-O? If so, I've heard very good things about it.

yes but it seems that a rx7 currently holds the track record
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

I'd build one. seriously fast, great torque, the only "problem" is FWD and torque don't always get along. get a good diff and setup the car right and I bet this can be overcome. weight isn't scary, and now HPD supports racers pretty well. good time to run a Honda, ITS is the class in the SE and NE, all else being equal, torque reigns... but I believe there are some good examples out there already to buy, rather than build. save you some $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    I'd build one. seriously fast, great torque, the only "problem" is FWD and torque don't always get along. get a good diff and setup the car right and I bet this can be overcome. weight isn't scary, and now HPD supports racers pretty well. good time to run a Honda, ITS is the class in the SE and NE, all else being equal, torque reigns... but I believe there are some good examples out there already to buy, rather than build. save you some $$.
    A front runner, possibly a world beater at that weight. Kevin thinks it's a better choice than the GSR in ITS due to torque.

I think the general opinon is that it's the best FWD choice in ITS.

Not many built though. OPM's was the VTEC one. I think Kevin's was the only 2.3

RX7 record at Mid Ohio is Huffmaster.....
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by dazzlesa View Post
    any opinions on running a 1994 prelude 2.3 liter in ITS at 2555lbs?
    thanks rick
    Rick, come to the dark side and build an Integra for ITR! Geoff is doing really well with his!

Stephen
    Last edited by StephenB; 10-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Yup, in talking with Kevin, it sounds like an awesome option. Parts aren't quite as plentiful as the Integra but, aside from that, it's a solid platform.

Another (illegal) option would be to get an ITR chassis, use a GSR engine/trans/brakes/hubs, and run ITS. When ITR competition picks up, you can always "upgrade" to ITR/ITR specs.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

With the 2.3L Prelude at 2555lbs, I still think you'd be insane to pick a GSR over it. It weighs 35lbs less, and although it'll make about -10whp, it'll have +50wtq. It seriously digs out of a corner, and runs real hard in a straight line. I think of how much better today's R6 is, how good readily available LSD's have become, and how easier it is to make a custom rear sway bar setup nowadays, and I really believe ours could've been an even bigger rocket today. Stick 2013 rubber on it, a Kaaz type diff, a Speedway style rear bar, and go win. Ours had an OPM/Eckerich diff in it, which worked well, but isn't going to put down torque on a FWD car like a Kaaz would. Ours also had a non-adjustable Nuespeed bar on the back of it, which I always wanted to re-do. It handled quite good, but I still wish it had the direct reaction of a straight bar attached right to the LCA, and a bit of adjustment to it.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Having built a GSR there is no contest. I would take the Prelude ALL DAY
    Jeremy Billiel

whatever happened to rucks old prelude?
    https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=31135

Still for sale.
    Blake Meredith

is it still in need of a paint job? because damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    is it still in need of a paint job? because damn.
    Nope
    If you go to the link I posted it shows a killer paint job on the car now

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    Having built a GSR there is no contest. I would take the Prelude ALL DAY
    Having driven the above-built one, then its replacement, I'd not go for the 'Teg in ITS either.

BTW, John Schmidt put a K20 in one of those things and was SERIOUSLY fast in STL at the Runoffs. If'n he'd "kept the damn thing on the island" he'd likely have been top-placing FWD car, a podium-finishing car. So I know the chassis design is a good one.

- GA

Not taking away from Jeremy/Greg/Kevin's recommendations, but I wouldn't discount the GSR entirely. Zsolt and Trever D. have buitl a very fast one, as did Scott Seck in Florida. Car has won races at Daytona, Road Atlanta and VIR, and in fact has the track record (now listed as Zsolt and Trever) at VIR at 2:14.0 in ITS.

I think is is a good choice in ITS, once of probably 8-10 chassis in the class than can win. As a competitor who has raced against the car pretty closely I'd say:

1. Decent power and very good top end (probably aero related).

2. Seems to do well handling wise and keeping the front tires under it on the longer/sweepy tracks.

3. Brakes seem average to very good.

I'm not an FWD guy and if I chose an FWD car, it would be a Corrado or the Prelude, but this car can win in ITS.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I drive a 93 Prelude Si in ITS, and while I am by no means a front running driver, I can add that:
    1. A well-designed header makes all the difference - The cheaper aftermarket headers don't do much for the car, but the $1200 race headers for that car make lots of power.
    2. Good stability through fast sweeping turns - I'm guessing it's due to the longish wheelbase and high PMI. My car is a full 100 lbs over the min weight and it's both nimble and stable through high speed stuff.
    3. Passenger compartment is very tight - Low roof and high dash line means that drivers with tall torsos don't fit in the car at all. Pedal positioning prohibits canting the seat back significantly to gain extra space. I have one friend who is a little over 6', and when he sits in my car, is eye level with the front roof bar on the cage.
    My car is still very much a work in progress, so I can't say for sure whether it's a winner yet. I am willing to wager though that if I can get the car down to minimum and with a Hytech header coming, this car will be a contender next season.
    Roger Maeda - #7 ITS Honda Prelude Si
    South Jersey Region

Quote Originally Posted by boxedfox View Post
    I drive a 93 Prelude Si in ITS, and while I am by no means a front running driver, I can add that:
    1. A well-designed header makes all the difference - The cheaper aftermarket headers don't do much for the car, but the $1200 race headers for that car make lots of power.
    2. Good stability through fast sweeping turns - I'm guessing it's due to the longish wheelbase and high PMI. My car is a full 100 lbs over the min weight and it's both nimble and stable through high speed stuff.
    3. Passenger compartment is very tight - Low roof and high dash line means that drivers with tall torsos don't fit in the car at all. Pedal positioning prohibits canting the seat back significantly to gain extra space. I have one friend who is a little over 6', and when he sits in my car, is eye level with the front roof bar on the cage.
    My car is still very much a work in progress, so I can't say for sure whether it's a winner yet. I am willing to wager though that if I can get the car down to minimum and with a Hytech header coming, this car will be a contender next season.

has there been side by side dyno testing with these headers? what kind of hp difference are we talking about?
    appreciate the input on the prelude...I had kind of convinced myself that I was going to go RWD...but this car is giving me second thoughts

I used to have a dyno sheet for a car that basically had the same engine bolt-ons as my car (AEM CAI, Hondata S300, 2.75" almost full length exhaust with a burns stainless muffler), except it used a Hytech instead of the modified DC Sports header that I have. I can't find the image file, but it was over 10hp difference. I'll have a comparison dyno sheet in the spring, if all goes well this winter with my day job.

I would recommend just straight out buying that Ruck car in the classifieds section. Considering what it is the asking price is super cheap. I'd buy it myself if I had the cash on hand.
    Roger Maeda - #7 ITS Honda Prelude Si
    South Jersey Region

I used to have a dyno sheet for a car that basically had the same engine bolt-ons as my car (AEM CAI, Hondata S300, 2.75" almost full length exhaust with a burns stainless muffler), except it used a Hytech instead of the modified DC Sports header that I have. I can't find the image file, but it was over 10hp difference. I'll have a comparison dyno sheet in the spring, if all goes well this winter with my day job.

I would recommend just straight out buying that Ruck car in the classifieds section. Considering what it is the asking price is super cheap. I'd buy it myself if I had the cash on hand.
    its on ebay
    I plan to bid

Completely agree. SMSP and Hytech are close in whp and torque results, yet results very slightly from car to car. Both are better than a DC header, though you can't beat a DC header for value.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.