Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ITS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I'd like to buy one of these things and try. I'm not a Chevy guy at all, but it'd be interesting to see what could be done with one.

Aw snap, $750 for one in my town and on sale too!! "Must go buy this Sunday"

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4065302668.html

I bet $400 cold cash gets me a bitching Camaro. Put it on the lift, get some beer, call the boys and take that thing apart.
    "... The reason why I'm selling it is that I want to buy a honda."

Probably going to ITB.

K

I don't know...he's got to look at the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    The listed weight is based on stock hp remember, and 25% gain

If you see some of the gains with the 3.4 that other large displacement ITS motors have seen (i.e. 40-50% or perhaps even more) then you are good to go because either you are competitive at the higher than listed weight, or the listed weight gets moved up if the ITAC gets asked to reweigh the car based on known power.

So the kicker here is the 3.4. If it can make 195-200 whp at 2700-2800 lbs, it will be competitive. Over that, gravy.
    This would/could be the saving grace for either the 3.4 or 3.8. Since it doesn't impact the street legality I am still working to see what kind of power the 3.8L motor will make.

Which begs the question, is there a generally accepted estimate for how much of the 25% expected IT gains come from bolt-ons & tuning, versus extensive motor work (b&b, bore, comp bump)? I've always had the impression you could get more the half of the expected gains from just intake/headers/exhaust/tuning, but I have no data to back that up.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Finding a 3.4L BitchingMaro with a five speed and sans T-tops isn't as easy as I thought. That is to say, I thought it'd be done in three or four minutes, but that was an underestimation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Which begs the question, is there a generally accepted estimate for how much of the 25% expected IT gains come from bolt-ons & tuning, versus extensive motor work (b&b, bore, comp bump)? I've always had the impression you could get more the half of the expected gains from just intake/headers/exhaust/tuning, but I have no data to back that up.
    I do not think an estimation could be made. Since IT is relatively restrictive you must take advantage of every aspect of the rule set. All the "little things" sum up to create meaningful gains. And, your "bolts ons" have to be critically evaluated. The "bolt on" headers that exist for domestic V6 engines (most any engine for that matter) will not be ideal for your IT-build. Time and money must be spent on optimizing an exhaust system. And there are many aspects of the engine that follow this pattern. Given that it is a odd-ball engine in the GM lineup don't expect much information to be available and go into it knowing you will have to perform most of your R&D on your own. That's part of the fun though.

And as fun as that is, we've seen more performance gains in the Mustang from chassis tuning and development. The motor's midrange is great, that doesn't hurt at all, but our recent work has been focused on being able to apply throttle early out of corners and it is starting to pay off. I bet the Camaro could be even better in this department because it appears that the weight distribution will be better out of the box than the stang.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 10-16-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    This would/could be the saving grace for either the 3.4 or 3.8. Since it doesn't impact the street legality I am still working to see what kind of power the 3.8L motor will make.

And I don't think there is any. My experience with ITS motors is with the Mustang, the L series Datsun motors, and mine, and to a lesser extent the 1.8 Miata.

Each saw different gains in different areas. The Mustangs see huge gains from tuning as the factory timing and fuel curves are pitiful, my car needed the short runner FI intake and a good exhaust to make any power, the L motors see big gains on the xhaust side, and Miatas need to rev to make power.

You won't really know until you dig into it.

HOwever, the 3.8 GM motor (that's the Buick V6 right?) is a pretty well known quantity. I'd think you should be able to get a rough estimate of what it will make in IT trim.

I was able to do so with the Rover V8 as was Ron with the Mustang, which is why I made the decision to invest in an FI motor and why Ron built the Mustang.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Ron:

Here is your Camaro. The situation is it's here in Sacramento, CA.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4117658568.html

Darryl

That one would be a good starting place. But building it from NC would be a hassle. I'm not coming up with any locally that are worth a damn.

I can't find a Camaro.....but I found some FireChickens!

http://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/4117800400.html

What's with all the Camaro and Firechicken owners having to sell TODAY?

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/4098482591.html
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 10-16-2013 at 09:13 PM.

I see the FireChicken 3.4 V6 isn't classified in ITS. Why is that?

Darryl

Probably becAuse when I wrote the letter I didn't think to ask and the ITAC didn't consider it either.

Brighton, Mi. 50 west of Detroit, 20 miles north of Ann Arbor.

From my AS experience, the Firechicken has better aero than the Camaro... And yes, they can be made to handle.

lack of the pontiac is easy to fix. just write a...

Ron put central FL on your radar, if you can find one, we'll figure a way to get it to you. I'm headed to the ARRC in a couple of weeks...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0

Here you go ron it has pimpy dodge nitro yellow green paint job and its lowered!
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

206k on the clock, from Georgia, and a dayglo green paint job.

I wonder how many condom wrappers, french fries, gum wrappers, and 9mm brass one will find upon removal of the interior?

sounds like a party! take bets, pass out gloves, tear into camaro. beer was made for things like this.

That car looks good on paper, and then I look at one and I despair. What a piece of ugly ass American plastic turdmanship.

No, I do not want.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Jeff:

You just need to look at one in the right color done up in racing graphics. On the other hand, split pea green would sure fake out the competition.

Darryl

That car looks good on paper, and then I look at one and I despair. What a piece of ugly ass American plastic turdmanship.

No, I do not want.
    You just need to see one done right:
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

That's pretty hot.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

That's pretty hot.
    Yeah, now if we could just get the flares, spoiler, hood, and 18X10 wheels approved for ITR, I would build mine in a heartbeat
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5