Thread: 79-93 mustang brakes

Default 79-93 mustang brakes

i have a question for you Ford guys out there. i would like to add a brake proportioning valve to my fox body mustang but i dont know how. my master cylinder has 3 lines coming out. 1 to the rear brakes and 2 lines going to the factory proportioning block then to to the front wheels via 2 seperate lines. where do i put an adjustable proportioning valve? reason for asking is that i would like to stop the front wheels from locking up and destroying my tires.
    Last edited by manny; 10-10-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Got a picture of the plumbing? Sounds incorrect. Like there should be one front and one rear line into and out of the proportioning valve, thats how it knows the proportion between front and rear.

Thats how every car Ive ever worked on was, but a Mustang may be different.
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

i will get pics asap. it has 2 lines from master to proportioning valve and then 2 to the front wheels

Sounds like a Ford cross system with all lines from the master going into the Prop valve assembly.

in which case the solution is to remove the prop valve, find the nearest trash can, and plumb the front outlet of the MC to a tee and to the front wheels, and the rear through a reduction "proportioning" valve as you always see, then to a Tee to the rears.

if you need to have a reduction in front force, throw a prop valve inline for it, too. usually the rear is what is in the car accessible to the driver. the front can be kept underhood for adjustments if needed. I say use all the brake you have available and make the tires cope with it. get off of hawk blues and onto one of the newer, better modulating compounds like the DTC line, or a carbotech XP10 or XP12 maybe.

Chip42 you are so correct about the brake system. Thanks for mentioning the lesser aggresive pads dduugghhhh. Parts have been ordered