Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 944 in ITS

Default Porsche 944 in ITS

Doe anyone know how competitive a 944 would be in ITS? Seems like they are reasonable to purchase.

How reasonable?? IT would need to be close to free to make it even a consideration, IMO.
    If you're building a 944 into a race car, you'd be far far better to just buy an existing logbooked car. That's SOA around here (Standard Operating Advice).

Motors on the 944 aren't cheap to build to race specs, and they don't give up their power easily. There have been some raced with moderate success, but it's far from the 'easy (or cheap) button'. Also, I understand the 944 guru, Milledge, is out of the business.

Thats not to say it can't be done, but winning in one in ARRC level competition will be a seriously uphill battle. As a reference point, Kip VanSteenburg, a nice guy known for his mad driving skills and his deep enough pocketbook to prep a top notch car, struggled mightily to run ITS times at Road Atlanta in his ITR 944.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Default 944 in ITS

I have a very nice track day car I bought to convert to ITS, needs safety equipment only. We have just about decided we can't be competitive. Our primary interest is running the enduro series. However in looking at 944's I really haven't seen one that I thought was really well done. That is in SCCA ITS. And in fairness I haven't seen them all. I do understand that NASA has a 944 only series where all the cars are prepped the same.
    May just be easier to go back to racing formula cars !!

If you are interested in racing a Porsche 944, there are a considerable number of cars prepared to Porsche 944 Cup / PCA SP2 specs which are very comparable to ITS (they are permitted to compete in the Fidelity Power Systems Pro IT ITS class). They are in line with the SOA to start with an existing race car. Cup cars do not seem to be fully competitive in ITS; I don't know what it would take to make them competitive.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by terry hanushek View Post
    i don't know what it would take to make them competitive.
    $15k
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    $15k
    For the motor.
    THEN you get to do the ECU.

here's the nut of it. The ITS cars just can't make Process power, at least to my knowledge and recollection. And nobody has worked the ITAC over recently on the matter. (About 10 yrs ago the ITAC debated long and hard about it.)

The S is spec'ed at 2850. I think thats too heavy.
    To be VERY general, Porsches come from the factory with less out of, or nearly out of tolerance parts. Their ECU tunes back then were pretty close. Things are just a bit more optimized than the average car, and the ITAC applies a broad brush when it assumes that all cars will gain 25%. Some just don't.
    And proving a negative is very difficult. For one person, the ITAC will want to see a full on engine build from a known reputable shop, and then they MIGHT consider looking for more data. Then, if they find correlation (This step is actually less likely than the first!) they MIGHT reduce the weight.
    (Correct me if I'm wrong Jeff and Chip)
    Frankly it's a huge risk, and one guy can only provide so much data. So, in this case, (If my memory serves me) a full build engine and ecu and development will push $20K.

You can buy killer RX-7s that will win ITS races all day long for mUCH less.

So things like the 944 and the 911 will essentially rot in a kind of Purgatory chasm.

(Like that Stevie U??)

(I think that, unofficially, the sharp guys on the ITAC know the car is a dog, BUT, how MUCH of a dog is it?? And they have i's to dot and t's to cross. I'm going from memory from when i was on the ITAC, and I considered the car briefly. The S2 is an ITR car, and I actually bought one to convert to an R car, but after poking around it, looking at the budget and the possible total loss of that budget should the motor go, I sold it to a nice fellow down south, who sold it to another nice fellow. I think the S2 R car is closer to competitive, but I wasn't going to bet my $$$. And through all this, I'm talking real deal competitive against the top dogs at the big races. )

If you are REALLY a martyr, and want to pursue it, and want the best possible numbers, contact Chris Camedella. He's an engineer who put a top drawer 944 together, and Milledge built his motor, and he had a full on Motec, IIRC> he posts here very infrequently, or I can dig up his contact info)
    Last edited by lateapex911; 10-03-2013 at 02:06 AM.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Somewhat along the lines of what Jake's saying... I too nearly bought an S2 to convert to ITR, when I decided I was "done" with my ITB 924.

Then I realized that a) I'd have it sorted and competitive within a year, and be bored again, and II: I could build a DSR for only 10k more and be entertained for years getting it sorted, up to speed, and learning how to drive it.

Still "entertaining" myself, 4 years later...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, lotsa stuff that ain't quite right in this thread.

Let's start over.

1. The 944S2 is probably one of the two cars to have in ITR right now. Kip will handily beat all top ITS cars save one with his, and that one is the Huffmaster RX7 that has probably one of the 2-3 best club racers in teh country behind the wheel.

2. The 944S is probably one of THE cars to have in ITS. Kip originally ran his car as a 944S in ITS and was pretty much unbeatable, except when he broke. And he did break some, apparently the engine has some oiling issues.

3. I've never seen a full tilt ITS 944 at the new lower weight. If you can get 160ish whp, you sould be competitive at that weight.

All that said, Jake is right that the motor is hard to get power out of, but it is there, especially in a 944S. If you like the cars, and have the $$$ for the motor, the chassis/brakes are gret and I think the car can be (and has been) a front runner.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Tangentally, Jeff, whats the other car in R?
    And, I guess I missed it...what the new lower weight??
    There are 3 944 listings.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

325is E36 in R down here. That's basically all I've seen run up front, other than Ricky's Z3.

You guys (before I joined) dropped the weight on the 2.5 944 and I've not seen a built one since then. AT that weight, 160-165 whp should be competitive.

Andy will tell you that he thinks the 944S may be light in ITS as it sits now. Kip was pretty much impossilbe to beat in the car, although he blew up a lot of motors too. I think he said something about an oiling issue with the rod bearings.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Well, to be fair, Kip does know how to pedal pretty good too...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post

Andy will tell you that he thinks the 944S may be light in ITS as it sits now. Kip was pretty much impossilbe to beat in the car, although he blew up a lot of motors too. I think he said something about an oiling issue with the rod bearings.
    I have seen one Pro 944S motor on our dyno and it was STRONG. String enough to think it would walk any RX7 that came out of our shop.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I tested an ITS Porsche 944 for a guy a few years ago. An absolute joy to drive. Total momentum car (you dont think of a Porsche like that, do you?) Loved every minute of it! However, very expensive to maintain and build. So if you've got the $$$, do it. If not, then dont!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Perhaps it was the weight, perhaps it was the way the rear suspension was setup, perhaps it was the tires or driver... yet the PCA 944 car I ran with at WGI seemed bogged down in the corners.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Default 944

Thanks guys for all the input. After taking all this in it sounds like allot of $$$ to make one really competitive. I am a fan of the rx7 having run one in ITA for a couple of years and did very well with it. I know parts are a problem but there is something to be said for pulling up to WAWA with the car on the trailer and filling up the tow vehicle and race car grab a cup of coffee and go racing. So I may look at the rx7 second gen for ITS. Thanks again guys.

So, to give some info...

Spec 944's will make high 130's to very low 140's. We run stock motors, stock ECU, stock exhaust manifold, stock intake after the MAF. I have no experience how much power you can get with a proper header and stand alone ECU. What works against you is the you can't over bore much, and if you do, you have to get the bores re-plated (Alumasil) and it's not cheap. Also, shaving the head moves can timing away from ideal. Otherwise it's a fun car to drive and has pretty good gearbox ratios.

The 944 rear suspension, as much of a massive PITA it is to set up (thanks to torsion bars and semi-trailing arms!) is definitely an asset IMO, not a liability... properly set up, it has no problems putting power down deep in the corners.

But it is a right PITA to build and get set, compared to a typical strut setup or the like...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Anybody know if anyone has tried an 89 2.7 liter motor 162hp 140ft lbs
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

I talked to Kip about his ITS 944. He says it was really competitive and he won 7 (or 5 cannot rememmber what he said) championships with it. He made the jump to ITR as a group of fast ITS guys were all going to make theh jump and make it a hot fast class. Irish Mike built his car, and a few others. Now that ITR is dead/dying.. he is building an EP 944.

To give an example of compitivness. This years ITS pole a the SIC was a 1:20.8 which is very fast. Kip said that when he was allowed to rip it he was able to run in the 1:19's. Now that was a few years ago. I am not sure how much tech has changed that he did not already take advantage of.

But like it has been said. It can be competitive, it was competitive, only one person with alot of talent and deep pockets has tried, but he also succeeded.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

For what it is worth, I don't think the track has a 19 in it anymore for an S car. But, someone may prove me wrong.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8