Thread: '81-84 Rabbit information

Default '81-84 Rabbit information

I'm looking for Westmoreland built Rabbit component information. Looking at an ITC build but I need specifics as far as motor, transmission, CIS, ad infinitum. Sticking point has been the CIS unit. 60mm or 80mm air flow sensor plate? I haven't gotten a definitive or vague answer in that regards. 1.7L, wide ratio 5 speed, and steel bumpers is about all I know so far. Thanks for your time, much appreciated.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Come up with a year .

I have one 1.7 complete in the 82 Rocco. Have most of the data for those years.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

pm to you.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

All of the 1.7s that I have , have the 80MM airplate. I think that it could be a pretty good ITC car.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Bosch parts listing for the 1.7s shows part number 0 438 120 130 or 0 438 120 162. The 162s are mostly on later 1.7s, but with US built Rabbits, German built Sciroccos and California emmisions, either apply to various year/ car combinations.
    Last edited by T Broring; 09-29-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Tom Broring
    Wash DC Region
    ITA Nissan Sentra SER
    HP Triumph Spitfire
    HP VW Rabbit

Hi Tom,
    I still dont have an e mail addy for you.

Default info

Contact david boles at boles motorsports in Melbourne Fla. He is a VW wizard and has built many nice cars and won several championships

Quote Originally Posted by jamrce1 View Post
    Contact david boles at boles motorsports in Melbourne Fla. He is a VW wizard and has built many nice cars and won several championships
    I agree, David is probably the guy contact. I'm pretty sure Stu Brummer has been out of VW's for a while, and Dick Shine closed his shop.

I didn't know that David had opened his own shop though.

OEM Westmoreland hatchback bumpers were lighter aluminum (front and rear) without signal lights from 81-on. Steel are either older or aftermarket. Bumper brackets changed from gas-pressurized to slightly lighter disposable steel in the middle of the run. Both 60mm and 80mm CIS units came on those cars, IIRC. I think the toasters were all CIS-lambda, but the pick-up was CIS-basic. There were at least 5 different 4-speeds and at least 4 different 5-speeds, and two of the 5-speeds shared the same code but had different ratios generally corresponding to a particular transaxle build date (which was usually significantly older than chassis build date). Be careful within a week or so of that build date, though, as some boxes got through with mismatched 4th versus 5th gears - a generally undesirable combination in addition to being undocumented. If in doubt, I think ETKA is spot on for everything else.
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

I have an IT prepped 1.7 bottom end using an H block it anybody wants it. Just sitting on the engine stand.

Pay for shipping.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com