Thread: Oil pump getting tired?

Default Oil pump getting tired?

I saw some oil temps higher that what I have been seeing while at Barber and am wondering if the oil pump is starting to get tired. It was a really hot weekend so it could've just been the weather, but thought I'd check to be sure. I saw oil temps in the 215 range during qualy when water temps were just 180. Oil pressure was pretty low at idle, in the 15 psi range, but seemed to be ok at speed. I'm not 100% certain the oil temp sender isn't flaky as the oil temp dropped pretty rapidly once I shut the car off. It was down to 175 in a matter of minutes.

Do the oil pumps wear out on 240sx's? I checked Courtesy and they show two different part numbers for oil pumps. There's an 001 and an 002 part. I can't tell what is the difference. I also recall reading about using a brass bushing of some sort to lessen wear.

Any input appreciated.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

David,

Your temps are far lower than my temps ever were in the 240sx. Yes oil pumps can wear out like any part can, but I think your issue was weather related more than anything.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

I was seeing oil temps as high as 220-230, with water temps at 195. John Williams was not concerned, and he built the engine.
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

Om my VW I've seen oil pan temps as high as 240 degrees. I'm not sure what the oil temp is after going through my cooler though. Water temp is 180-190 even on a warm day. Because of this I don't really worry about the oil temps because if the oil wasn't doing it's job the water temps would be higher.

At idle my hot oil pressure does drop to less then 20 lbs. sometimes dipping to as low as 10 lbs but jumps up to 40+ psi with just a blip of the throttle and never drops below 40 lbs while on track at speed, sometimes going as high at 70 lbs psi.

I go by the off time mentioned advise of 10 lbs of oil pressure per 1000 RPM engine speed. I have it so I don't worry about the bottom end at this point.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988