Thread: 15 inch wheels for 90 CRX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by madrabbit15 View Post
    We run 15 x7s with 205/50/15 hoosiers and kumhos. Works great, no problems what so ever. I personally don't see how any of the guys running 225s can do it. We have tried numerous ways and we either rub the rear trailing arm or the track is wider than the fender. Personally I think the 205s are faster than the 225s anyway. Takes too much hp for those wider tires on the faster straights.
    I dunno... I'd say most ITA CRX's I've seen through the years ran 225/50 14's. I ran (IIRC) 14x7 38mm offset TD Pro Race 1.2's all the way around. There was a very small (2mm?) spacer used at the rears to keep them off the RTA too much. They'd still polish the RTA some but nothing worth worrying about. They'd clear the rolled rear fenders without any problems...
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

my ita car runs 225 14'' on pnasports...38 offset I believe.

barely fits. But it fits great on decently rolled fenders all around. Same wheels all around

so yeah, what xian said

To complicate the conversation, we ended up (through actual testing) running 225s on the front of Pablo the Golf and 205s on the rear. Hoosiers, all 14", and same height by different aspect ratio.

K

Ive always run 205/50/15 with the Hoosier SM6 compound tires and the Enkei RPF1 wheels. Have had much success with them!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    To complicate the conversation, we ended up (through actual testing) running 225s on the front of Pablo the Golf and 205s on the rear. Hoosiers, all 14", and same height by different aspect ratio.

K
    Yup. And then you can complicate it even further by running the A compound at the rear...

We've done some games with Steves MR2 showing ~2mph in a straight line at Roebling 205 R6 vs 225 R6. 225's were on 14" wheels, 205s were on stoopid light SSR 15", so not sure all of that is the tire. overall lap times were similar, but the speed was made differently. we also tried some mixed wide rear/narrow fronts but it unbalances the car toward understeer. was slightly faster in a straight line though.

explain the A comp on the rear thing... more grip on the rear = good why? or is there a weight issue or something else I'm missing?
    Last edited by Chip42; 10-10-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post

explain the A comp on the rear thing... more grip on the rear = good why? or is there a weight issue or something else I'm missing?
    Nah, it's not really a "more grip" thing more a matter of how quickly the rear end comes up to "normal" grip levels. On R's, a "fast" CRX is a handful for the first couple laps as the fronts gain heat/grip more quickly than the rears. Put R's up front and A's in back and they should come up to temp/grip more or less equally which lets you gain time in the first couple laps. Total grip potential at operating temp is (effectively) the same for the rest of the race and the rears never get so overloaded that they can go off or get greasy.

Disclaimer: this ^^^ is second hand info from folks who've gone down the road of staggered compounds. As much as I liked the theory of it, I preferred the ability to easily rotate tires front/back and even out wear and heat cycles.

On my FP Integra, I run a harder compound on the front of my car than I do on the rear, because of what Christian is describing. If I try to run the softer compound all the way around, the fronts don't handle the heat and abuse over a long run, and it starts to push. If I run the harder compound all the way around, then the rears take too long to come up into their operating temp range, and I'm too slow at the start of the race. If I try to change the setup of the car so its more manageable on those cool rears at the start, then it tightens up to much for the second half of the race. But with the hards on the front and softs on the rear, they all come up to temp pretty evenly, and I can set up the car so its kick-ass, stuck like glue, and consistent over long runs.

On my ITA Integra though, I can't do a R6 front and A6 rear setup, as the rear-end grip becomes too much. That car just weighs too much (300lbs heavier than the FP car), and the IT rules restrict some other things that I can do on the FP car, that I end up having to rely on lack of grip in the rear-end to help it turn. I've ran A6's all the way around on many occasions, but it only works when it's cool out and I'm on a track that doesn't abuse tire, otherwise it cooks the fronts. Also done A6's front and R6's rear, again trying to make the rear-end NOT grip, and that's ok at a place like Mid-Ohio, but its still an exercise in not burning the fronts off. One thing I never tried though was a 225 R6 front and 205 R6 rear setup, which might have been decent.
    Last edited by R2 Racing; 10-14-2013 at 08:54 AM.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX