Thread: 15 inch wheels for 90 CRX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As others have said... yeah, 225/45 15 will fit. It's super duper tight in the rear (especially) but it'll work. Unless you've got a stockpile of 15x7's I wouldn't bother with it myself. Run the 225/50 14. Their slightly taller sidewall isn't bad thing in a SWB car like the CRX...

There's no way that I'd move an ITA CRX onto 225/50's. The taller tire height will raise the car, create clearance problems, hurt gearing, etc. No way, no day.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

I've been toying with the idea of running spec miata 205's 15'' tires on my crx

don't know if it'll happen. Lazy

(Keep in mind I am running solo II since I am trying to sell the Honda)

I switched to 225/45ZR15 Hankook s with RPF1's and I went and bought a fender roller

turns out my car's fenders where already rolled for the larger wheel and tire combo, I do have some slight rubbing in the rear and the front right I am finding grease on the front outer cv boot (I have wiped it off twice and can’t find any holes)

Here are the reasons I would not go with 15's (what I told myself in the past)

1) Doing so raises the ride height of the car (it’s normally anathema to raise the CG height of a car)

2) The tires and wheels are more expensive

3) Changes the final ratio

BUT I knocked off 2 seconds when I did it so that killed my arguments against doing it.

For this Sunday I am going up on the front spring rate 50 pounds to 500lbs

Davegt74
    Last edited by Davegt74; 09-14-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: went to 500lb springs in front not 750

Assuming you're referring to the typical ITA wheel sizes...

1- 225/45 15's are essentially the same height as the more common 225/50 14. No ride height change results... and even if it did, you've got coilovers to adjust ride height.

2- Wheels and tires are cheaper on the used market due to increased commonality with other cars.

3- FD stays the same b/c of #1.

If you're comparing to the 225/50 the OP asked about, all of the common 15" sizes will lower the car and improve the effective FD. If you're comparing to something like a 225/50 13 then yeah... 15's would change things pretty drastically.

We run 15 x7s with 205/50/15 hoosiers and kumhos. Works great, no problems what so ever. I personally don't see how any of the guys running 225s can do it. We have tried numerous ways and we either rub the rear trailing arm or the track is wider than the fender. Personally I think the 205s are faster than the 225s anyway. Takes too much hp for those wider tires on the faster straights.
    Derek Ketchie SEDiv

Quote Originally Posted by madrabbit15 View Post
    We run 15 x7s with 205/50/15 hoosiers and kumhos. Works great, no problems what so ever. I personally don't see how any of the guys running 225s can do it. We have tried numerous ways and we either rub the rear trailing arm or the track is wider than the fender. Personally I think the 205s are faster than the 225s anyway. Takes too much hp for those wider tires on the faster straights.
    I dunno... I'd say most ITA CRX's I've seen through the years ran 225/50 14's. I ran (IIRC) 14x7 38mm offset TD Pro Race 1.2's all the way around. There was a very small (2mm?) spacer used at the rears to keep them off the RTA too much. They'd still polish the RTA some but nothing worth worrying about. They'd clear the rolled rear fenders without any problems...

my ita car runs 225 14'' on pnasports...38 offset I believe.

barely fits. But it fits great on decently rolled fenders all around. Same wheels all around

so yeah, what xian said