Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miata feature race at 20th ARRC by GRM

Quote Originally Posted by nickatgt View Post
    - 2.5 hour ECR
    2.5 hour?

Quote Originally Posted by SPiFF View Post
    2.5 hour?
    yup, longer ECR at the ARRC every year. I think it used to be 3 hours.. everyone who comes for the sprints goes home on sunday and misses it.

What is the right answer? Originally we were looking at 3 hours but last year it was a pretty light turnout. One possible reason is that it is Sunday afternoon and everyone heads out early. Would a 90 minute event keep anyone around longer? 3 hour?

Quote Originally Posted by nickatgt View Post
    What is the right answer? Originally we were looking at 3 hours but last year it was a pretty light turnout. One possible reason is that it is Sunday afternoon and everyone heads out early. Would a 90 minute event keep anyone around longer? 3 hour?
    I know this sounds strange but... use all the track time since the club paid for it. Then charge a certain amount for the 90min and another for the 3 hrs. throw a full course competition yellow at 90 min... the 90 minute people drop out then 2 laps later throw the green again and race another 90 minutes!

I bet some drop out early and get some money back, others decide to go till the end and then pay up. Also allows for a second driver if people wanted to.

Just a thought!
    Stephen

As long as the ECR is at the end of the day Sunday, it's a hard one to fill - particularly as a "second" race. I would *really* like to take a shot at winning it outright this year in the TDI but it's really hard on traveling racers.

Just the difference between having it first thing on Sunday vs. last thing would probably keep more sprint entries there to run it.

K

EDIT - Better yet, while it sounds mercenary, put the sprint races that everyone REALLY comes to the ARRC for on Sunday. That will keep folks around.
    Last edited by Knestis; 08-28-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    As long as the ECR is at the end of the day Sunday, it's a hard one to fill - particularly as a "second" race. I would *really* like to take a shot at winning it outright this year in the TDI but it's really hard on traveling racers.

Just the difference between having it first thing on Sunday vs. last thing would probably keep more sprint entries there to run it.

K

EDIT - Better yet, while it sounds mercenary, put the sprint races that everyone REALLY comes to the ARRC for on Sunday. That will keep folks around.
    Great idea, K. Now just tell me/us which races every REALLY comes to the ARRC for!

In years past I've talked to various groups about running on Sunday and everyone always recommends "the other guys". If we told the ITQ guys they get to race on Sunday, for instance, I'm betting we'd have half as many show up.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

The sprint races SEEM to be the big draw - what makes the ARRC special.

But that said, it's really hard to know for sure what combination will work best. I'm kind of glad it's not my decision.

K

I like the idea of having the sprint races on Sat. Long tow home for some, having Sunday as a driving day back makes the event easier to attend.

So maybe we need to talk about a "gathering" of the old crowd back at the ARRC for 2014...
    Yup, maybe. I've been wanting to get down there... Car is done for this year, but next year I hope to actually race.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    So maybe we need to talk about a "gathering" of the old crowd back at the ARRC for 2014...
    Now that I have a car worthy of going down there, I want to go drive there. As long as the schedule is set early enough in advance, I would be interested.

I miss the runoffs style tech at the end of the event that made it a true championship. Impounding the top 6 and tearing down the top three on Saturday night let you know that you had what it took to win AND a legal car.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

2.5 hour or 3 hour just leave it on Sunday, I have a wedding to attend Saturday.