Thread: September 2013 Fastrack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I find this one quite interesting, given it was never passed through the STAC, despite being noted as "ST Committee"...

Super Touring
    ST
    1. #11980 (ST Committee) Miata Chassis Definitions
    Advise Competitors that the Mazda Miata has different chasses as they relate to ST and engine swaps. (The NA Chassis 1990-1997, the NB Chassis 1999-2000, and the NB Chassis 2001-2005) For example, a Miata running in STL may be a 1999-2000 using a 2001-2005 engine and may use a 1999-2000 intake manifold. However, a 2001-2005 chassis car cannot use a 1999-2000 intake on its engine.

What is the intent of allowing alternate intake manifold? All this will do is create odd pairings that from a scruitneering standpoint sounds like a nightmare.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    What is the intent of allowing alternate intake manifold?
    You can mix-and-match parts within the same car/engine, and you're allowed to use the intake from either the car or the installed engine. - GA

that rule is pretty damned nitt-picky. the NB is really 1 chassis with some updates and different spec engines (3 of them IIRC). not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    that rule is pretty damned nitt-picky. the NB is really 1 chassis with some updates and different spec engines (3 of them IIRC). not cool.
    That, and there's absolutely zero basis in the regulations for that "clarification". Regs state "make and model". One can legitimately argue that "Mazda Miata" is one model, however I'd counter that manufacturer chassis designations are more relevant. In that case, I'd consider a "model" the NA, NB, and NC(?) chassis.

But different years within the NB model are considered different cars? Where in the regs does it say that? Or even imply that? Had that been run through the STAC I would have voted against recommending it to the CRB.

Gotta love POOMA rules "clarifications"...protest-worthy, if you ask me. - GA