Thread: HNR thoughts

Default HNR thoughts

HNRs always seem to be in some kind of flux, whether it be mandates or with suppliers. Always some controversy etc. NecksGen is out, at least for now, and Leatt threatens to be back. Back in 2008-9 I was intrgiued with this and did a fair amount of work to understand the facts. I bought or borrowed almost every type out there. In 2012, I set my HANS aside and bought a NG. Along the way I produced a few webpages and in 2009 did a survey.

Well, I have updated the pages:

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_and_Neck_Restraints
    http://www.r-series.org/rsd/HNR2012.html

and started a new survey, please take it!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PFF3GWT

I'll publish the results after a I have enough input. With the last survey, I received favorable comments form users, OEM, and other bodies.

Thanks!

Please take this survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PFF3GWT

I will read up and check things out. I'm pondering a purchase... I have only used a HANS so far, but am not interested in sending them any money.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

So, is Necksgen back in the market again? They had them at the Racer Expo, and the website is introducing the 2014 models.
    Sfi approved? Legal for SCCA then?
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Quote Originally Posted by StephF View Post
    Sfi approved? Legal for SCCA then?
    Yup.

I've got one, it's pretty OK. Honestly, I thought my old HANS fit my clavicles and chest better, but the NecksGen is not bad. And it's not HANS.

- GA

I like the lower profile for getting out of the car. I have a pro rage now. I don't like it at all.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

NecksGen just came out with a new design, too - much smaller than the old NecksGen / DefNder and HOPEFULLY not in violation of HANS mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    NecksGen just came out with a new design, too - much smaller than the old NecksGen / DefNder and HOPEFULLY not in violation of HANS mojo.
    Give it time.. They'll find something wrong with it and sue 'em.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I tried that new Next Gen...quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    I tried that new Next Gen...quite impressive.
    I just purchased a Necks Gen Rev (the new model).
    Its really comfortable and I think it will be a great improvement over the HANS I had.

I was a very early adopter of the HANS, mine had no SFI sticker, just FIA,,, and no little winglets on the sides.
    I have always battled with the belts sliding off the "yoke" part on my chest.
    Might be the shape of my torso (I'm kinda barrel shaped) or the length (or lack of length), but I always struggled to keep the belts firmly on the yoke part.

I tried 2" belts, 3" belts, I moved the adjusters up, down, anywhere I could,,, I tried the stock rubber surface on the yoke, finally I added some skateboard grip tape to the yoke and then they started to somewhat stay put, but not enough that I felt warm and fuzzy about it.

When I saw the NecksGen Rev advertised I though well this would 100% solve that problem I'm having because it deletes the yoke part the belts ride on over my chest. I ordered one on the condition they would take it back after a quick test fit in my car. I love it. I have not driven with it yet, but sitting in my car in my garage fully belted in with helmet its night and day different in how the belts fit.

So far, I am a fan of this new Necks Gen Rev unit.
    Jimmy P.
    #98 BMW E30 M3 - SPU

Jimmy - I have had similar issues with shoulder harnesses sliding off. The problem is often caused by the harnesses themselves sliding on the harness bar behind the driver. The simple solution I have found is to use pipe collars (find them in McMaster-Carr) to keep the harnesses from spreading too far apart.

Not saying your new NecksGen isn't great, just offering insight into what may have helped cause your original problem.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post
    Jimmy - I have had similar issues with shoulder harnesses sliding off. The problem is often caused by the harnesses themselves sliding on the harness bar behind the driver. The simple solution I have found is to use pipe collars (find them in McMaster-Carr) to keep the harnesses from spreading too far apart.

Not saying your new NecksGen isn't great, just offering insight into what may have helped cause your original problem.
    I crossed my belts behind the seat to cure this same problem, and the tech guy thought it was a good idea..... My Hans is an earlier FIA model, same as described

Never had a problem with mine coming off, but my seat is a Kirkey Intermediate with only a few inches between the straps where they come through the seat. I also zip-tied my harnesses in place around the harness bar so there's no lateral movement.. cost $0.10 and real easy to remove if I need to.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post

Hey Rob,
    I have them, well not the exact ones from McMaster, but I have similar devices to keep them from separating. Im my case I don't think that was the issue. I tried all the tricks I found in any forum online as well as calling HMS who I bought the device from and my Recaro seat who offered some other things to try.

I believe the problem stemmed from my torso shape (as you know I'm built similar to a 55 gallon drum) 5'8" 230, 48" chest,,, if the adjusters sat on the HANS they would slide off. If they sat below it it was better, but then they didn't move they would hang up on the bottom of the yoke and not "work" and they were into my stomach area.

I had the standard closed car unit (20 degree?). Keeping in mind mine was a very early unit, I think maybe a newer version with the belt retaining lips at the shoulders may have helped, but I really felt the yoke interface with the adjusters was the main offender in my case.

In any case, I have a buyer for my HANS, a slender guy who it will probably work great on.
    I really like the feel of the Necksgen Rev. Its almost like not wearing a H&N device.
    Jimmy P.
    #98 BMW E30 M3 - SPU