Thread: Driving Experience At Last Chance Weekend WGI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Driving Experience At Last Chance Weekend WGI

Want to experience what it is like to be Wheel to Wheel racing in a controlled environment with NO RACING LICENSE REQUIRED?!?! Is this even possible? Yes it is!!!

The Glen Region SCCA would like to invite you to our inaugural Last Chance: Club Racing Experience event on Friday October 3rd, 2013 at Watkins Glen International.

What is the SCCA Racing Experience?

This event will be a low risk “racing experience” event that provides an instructional environment to experience and learn about wheel to wheel racing in an easy to access format. The event will happen during the Glen Region’s Last Chance weekend.
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Tom, is there no sanctioned school this year, or is this in addition to the school/race weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew M View Post
    Tom, is there no sanctioned school this year, or is this in addition to the school/race weekend?
    Drew there will be drivers school for closed wheel cars. For additional info contact Ed Zebrowski at edzeb at juno . com
    Last edited by tdw6974; 08-09-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Just wish that we had some advertising for this. How can we get any newbs with a few notes on some obscure forums?
    Please step it up SCCA.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tdw6974 View Post
    Drew there will be drivers school for closed wheel cars. For additional info contact Ed Zebroski at edzeb at juno . com
    Thank you, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by tdw6974 View Post
    Want to experience what it is like to be Wheel to Wheel racing in a controlled environment with NO RACING LICENSE REQUIRED?!?! Is this even possible? Yes it is!!!

The Glen Region SCCA would like to invite you to our inaugural Last Chance: Club Racing Experience event on Friday October 3rd, 2013 at Watkins Glen International.

What is the SCCA Racing Experience?

This event will be a low risk “racing experience” event that provides an instructional environment to experience and learn about wheel to wheel racing in an easy to access format. The event will happen during the Glen Region’s Last Chance weekend.
    I like it... But I don't get it!! is it for street cars or race cars? is it riding or driving? What about cost and schedule? Lots of unexplained things in your post and no link for more info!

This is certainly the direction we (SCCA) needs to take in its marketing though! Way to go on catching attention!!!

Raymond "can you give more details on this... We have crew coming with us to the Enduro that might like it!" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

This got me thinking... how cool would it be too have club racing with a passenger similar to co drivers in rally. I know I would pay to ride with a few p people...

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    This got me thinking... how cool would it be too have club racing with a passenger similar to co drivers in rally. I know I would pay to ride with a few p people...

Stephen
    I'm sure risk management would be onboard
    Last edited by ner88; 08-08-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post

Stephen
    For some reason, I see the racing being a lot dirtier if passengers were involved.

Haha, I still think co drivers in club racing is as safe or safer than in rally, much safer "barriers" in club racing!

But yea I get why this will never happen.. it is different than the norm

So back on topic, what are the details on this? I do have some crew guys that may rely be interested in doing this with my car.

I will try to add some more info. I talked with Ed the other day. The concept, not completed yet, is that Thursday night (or Friday morning) there will be a class like the normal driver's school. Friday morning (regardless) the practice session, driver's school and race experience will alternate sessions. The driver's school and race experience drivers will alternate in the classroom throughout the day. There will be, by the end of the day, a "grid" and race start. There will not be any posted times, and the grid may be arbitrary.
    The driver does not need to have on track experience. The car does not need to be fully to the GCR (belts can be expired). The driver does not need a HANS. The driver needs all of the other things in the GCR however (like if the suit is a single layer, they need to have the nomex underwear).
    Things that I don't know: when the supps will be ready. When the schedule I suggested above will be final. How much will it cost? Whether in-car timing equipment is allowed.

Lastly, my dad is probably going to do this. Anybody have a L or XL drivers suit floating around?
    Last edited by kcolbey; 08-09-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: not being a sexist
    Kyle C
    #69 ITA Honda CRX
    Glen Region Timing & Scoring Chief