Thread: Driving Experience At Last Chance Weekend WGI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile I think this is GREAT!

I would never have become a racer without EMRA.
    EMRA's bar was a lot lower and they welcomed me to race my street car (AH Sprite)
    After cutting my teeth with EMRA, I looked around and realized that the upgrades to SCCA weren't going to be so hard.
    But without that middle step, I don't think I would have had the wherewithal
    to do it at that point in my life (24 years old/low income)
    phil hunt

I did EMRA events too. Another aspect that I liked was the $$$$ competitors were spending weren't as crazy. Maybe that was a direct result of being easier to begin racing with them. Didn't even think about that until you mentioned it Phil.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Glenn this is more controlled than a Club racing driver’s school in that like vintage it operates under the 13/13 concept. One at fault incident and you have a 13 month probation, a second one and you are suspended from this form of event for 13 months. This is designed to foster a less aggressive environment.

If these events become more common in the future then it will give someone an outlet for wheel to wheel competition without ever having to deal with the hassle of the additional requirements. If instead they decide they want to get it to it harder they can move along to traditional club racing. Either way it is all good.
    As to the risk, if the risk professionals are satisfied with the program why second guess them.

As to the belts and medicals, who knows if this is successful maybe some of it could trickle up.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Fair enough.

ok, I'll stop trying to be an armchair risk lawyer.

I didn't realize someone could continue to CRX. I thought it was only an intro day.

Trickle up would be good

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Why is the price for this not in the first line in the first post, in bold? Why does one have to sort through supps to figure out price, which for many is the A#1 barrier to entry? If this isn't cheap, like $250 max, it's completely ineffective. Sorry if this sounds rant-ish, but even with being in the club for a while the information dissemination part varies so much region to region it's hard as hell for me to figure out fundamental stuff like event cost.

Could be that the price is not fixed yet. IDK. You are right tho.
    This appears to be a very young concept and not fully fixed in stone. As it should be IMHO.

Another chance to improve the driver skill at this point also is for two seats for instructor rides. The standard driver school lacks the instructor input . Watching from the track side is good but not nearly the same. I get many fresh NP holders that we need to ride with to get near a decent line even tho they have the 6 hrs or so of track time.
    Maybe mix in some good racers to monitor/film, and with cars marked, " Follow Me" or "follow me DA". FMDA

I would think that ride alongs would be a huge benefit, just like taking any virgin for track day, it is a lot easier to take 3 laps and show the basics, instead of spending 2 sesssions trying toget near the edge of the track .. " station wagon rides" are close tho.

I really hope to see some advertising in a few motor sports mags, Road and Track has a BA ad for Chumpcar and Chumptruck.

Pick me, pick me.
    ,MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I really hope to see some advertising in a few motor sports mags, Road and Track has a BA ad for Chumpcar and Chumptruck.
    How do you advertise in national publications when it's for a single specific date and region? Hope to see the PDX and this grow and become supported by many more regions.

There was a PDX at a recent Lime Rock SCCA event which was mixed in. Overall I thought that was a great.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Can someone give us a synopsis of this event?
    Thanks, MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/