Thread: BMW Pro 3

Default BMW Pro 3

Guys, I got a question from the west coast guys with the Runoffs being there in 2014 and the Majors growing. I guess there are a bunch of BMW Pro 3 cars out there. http://www.pro3-racing.com/

They want to know if they can run in STU. It look like to me that the cars are legal in ITS although they will need to weigh 100 pounds more. Legal ITS cars can run in STU.

Can those of you who know BMW’s and the STU rules better than me tell me if I am missing anything?
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Items that stick out to me:

- The battery may be moved from its stock location as long as it is not placed within the passenger compartment. The battery may be replaced with any 12-volt battery.

- Wire mesh screens with a minimum opening of 3/16” cont. may be fitted... (we're 1/4", right?)

- A BMW OEM or dimensionally equivalent steel flywheel must be used.

- Any stock transmission, including automatics, correct for the body series may be used....Shift linkage may be modified or replaced.

- Engine, transmission, and rear differential mounting material is unrestricted. Drive train mounts of alternate material and design may be used...

- Power steering components may be disabled or removed.

http://www.icscc.com/references/comp...3_complete.pdf

Starting page 71 (PDF p74).

Sounds like short of the auto tranny thing and the wire mesh, they might be legal for STU based on Greg's references.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Sounds like short of the auto tranny thing and the wire mesh, they might be legal for STU based on Greg's references.
    Good point. Engines are 2499cc, so STU weight would be 2750#, no additions for RWD. Pro3 weight is 2650, so 100# more ballast.

And there's no 1/4" mesh limit in STU (in fact, you're allowed to cover grill openings).

And I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess no one runs the automatic transmission.

So, other than +100#, they're compliant to STU.

- GA

Edit: oops, cage. STU requires a lateral dash brace. Pro3 regs require IT- or GT-compliant cages, and the former does not require a lateral dash brace.

so GT cage + 100# = STU compliant
    if IT cage then must conform to IT rules, then adjust to IT weight and it's STU compliant.

right?

ITS is okay if they also meet all the IT rules. Based on Greg's list comparing allowances above and beyond ITCS:

- the battery has not been moved or replaced with non-oem style battery.

- Wire mesh screens with a minimum opening 1/4"

- OEM flywheel is used

- Stock manual transmission is used with no shift linkage modifications

- Engine, transmission, and rear differential mounting material meet IT rules

- Power steering components are not disabled or removed

Did I miss anything?
    '92 Honda Civic Si

You miss me. But, with practice, your aim will improve.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    You miss me. But, with practice, your aim will improve.
    ...your account got hacked, Stephanie is using your it.com credentials again or you are drunk.:026:
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    so GT cage + 100# = STU compliant
    if IT cage then must conform to IT rules, then adjust to IT weight and it's STU compliant.

right?
    Honestly don't know GT cage rules...do they require a lateral dash bar?

I'd just suggest these guys toss a crossbar and 100# in the car and call it "done".

- GA, laughing at Ed and Mickey...

PRO 3 is not actually a BMW CCA Club Racing Class, it's a regional thing in the Pac NW.

If they ran in the BMW club they would go in that org's KS, or K-Sport class.

my understanding is - gut the car, can't open the engine. you can play with shocks. DOT ri In other words, they would be back markers in ITS and extremely far from competitive in STU - but they should be eligible for STU and be able to participate in the Majors/Super Tours/Runoffs.

I would plug them in under the STU alternate vehicle allowances table and let them run at 2650# under their Pro3 rules except that tire brand would not be restricted, and of course they have to meet STU safety requirements like dash bars.

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    Guys, I got a question from the west coast guys with the Runoffs being there in 2014 and the Majors growing. I guess there are a bunch of BMW Pro 3 cars out there. http://www.pro3-racing.com/

They want to know if they can run in STU. It look like to me that the cars are legal in ITS although they will need to weigh 100 pounds more. Legal ITS cars can run in STU.

Can those of you who know BMW’s and the STU rules better than me tell me if I am missing anything?
    Dick, who did you talk to? I know a few of those guys out there, I'm happy to get involved and help make this work for them. STU at LS next year I think will need entries to crown a champion.

Actually the director from out here Todd Butler said he was getting questions so I started this thread and sent him the link so they would have a resource.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7