Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight reduction, 4-door car

Default Weight reduction, 4-door car

I have a four door.... Can I remove the rear window motors in the doors? How about the evap system ... Charcoal canisters too?

Greg

Take this with a grain of salt, because I've not layed eyes on the ITCS, but I think that what ever allowance there is to remove the front door motors, air bags, and electric locking mechanism, should also work on the back door.

What about window glass? are you planning on keeping or removing it? I'd think you could even gut the rear doors, if you put in two mini door bars that extend into the cavity between the main hoop and the down braces. Your best bet is to read the appropriate section of the ITCS FWIW.

Club Racing? Solo? Class? Here's a good place to start if it's CR.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...-%20August.pdf
    Art Jaso
    Former 1989 Toyota MR2 #55 ITB
    DC Region SCCA
    DC Region Board of Directors
    Coordinator of Racers Helping Racers Fund
    http://www.racershelpingracers.com/
    PDX/TT Committee Member
    PDX Co-Chief of Grid
    PDX Chief Technical Inspector
    SCCA Pit Marshall
    SCCA Pace Car
    SCCA F & C
    Producer of "Racing Summit Point" Video
    http://vimeo.com/67177646

Glass is to stay... No true door gutting... Currently running a 2.8 and feel that maybe a 2.5 (m54)might be better in the long run but need to loose 100 lbs.... Looking for every little possibility... Uphill battle with this car.

Car is ITR

Quote Originally Posted by gpeluso View Post
    Car is ITR
    Where are you and what car is it?

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

I live in pittsburgh and I ran it last weekend at beaverun and New Jersey the week prior at the pro-it.... Car is off by hp compared to an e36 currently and weights about 125 lbs compared..... If I can lose weight , I feel that the 2.5 (m54 ) will network similar horsepower but just a lighter car.. I currently run a standalone so plugging a different power plant is not hard... I have collected a small pile or used trannies and engines for experiments...2.5 Mtu, 2.8 Mtu , 2.5 m54 and both trannies... Same ratios but different between the 2.5 and 2.8

Greg

We've had this discussion before...I don't recall the "final answer" but there was some disagreement.

The GCR, in the cage regs, states:

"Two side tubes connecting the front and main hoops across both door openings are mandatory."

No mention of "front" versus "rear" doors. Of course, the reason for this is protection of the driver, so the implication is the front doors.

However, the same regs also state:

"Door side tubes may extend into the front door."

...implying they cannot protrude into the rear door?

The regs further continue:

"In Improved Touring, Spec Miata, and Touring the door window glass, window operating mechanism, inner door trim panel, armrest, map pockets, wiring harnesses for door locks, windows, power mirrors, seat wiring, etc., and inside door latch/lock operating mechanism may be removed and the inner door structural panel may be modified, but not removed only if the door bars extend into the door cavity."

Therefore, one can remove/modify all those parts only if the doors bars extend into the door cavity. However, if one is only allowed to extend the tubes into the front door, then it follows you cannot remove those items from the rear door.

Finally, other than the "IIDSYCTYC", the ITCS states the following:

"Other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted."

I suggest, based on the GCR cages regs cited above, that you cannot remove those items from the rear doors.

Thoughts? Counterpoints?

- GA

Agreed Greg. And for aero purposes, I would want the rear windows in I think.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Damn I hate to hijack but....

" ITCS states the following:

"Other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted."

My new driver cooling system is going to need a place for the radiator to exhaust heat from the car. I'd like to cut a 10" x 3" hole in the passenger side floor pan. I know somewhere in the GCR it states driver cooling systems can be added to race cars, therefore, would this modification fall under the clause above, i.e. legal because the cooling system is a authorized modification?

Ron,

It says it can be added, but not that the car/chassis can be modified to accommadate it.

I would say no on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Damn I hate to hijack but....

" ITCS states the following:

My new driver cooling system is going to need a place for the radiator to exhaust heat from the car. I'd like to cut a 10" x 3" hole in the passenger side floor pan. I know somewhere in the GCR it states driver cooling systems can be added to race cars, therefore, would this modification fall under the clause above, i.e. legal because the cooling system is a authorized modification?
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Guess the car must stay porky..... Disappointed but if that is the rules... That's the rules.
    Wonder what other 4 door BMW guys have been doing?
    Dumb question.... What would it hurt to allow? No cost advantage for rich guys... Plus I bet many who cross between clubs are doing this... Not bitching just real question..
    Thanks
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I suggest, based on the GCR cages regs cited above, that you cannot remove those items from the rear doors.

Thoughts? Counterpoints?

- GA
    Greg,

I agree that it is not real clear and i agree with your reasoning/rationale. i thought windows had to be down to race. like my passenger side window needs to be down, right? is this only for access/escape of the driver?

but I think this should be updated to add something like "window glass in rear doors can be removed if the normal full down position leaves the glass exposed."

in my formative years, the rear doors of my parents luxoboats (1968 pontiac catalina, etc.) had rear doors that had the glass that could be rolled down flush with the door. we could then extend our arms/hands and make airplane noises as we let the air move our hands up and down.

my 97 four door civic lets the glass only go down about 3/4's of the way. IF that car were made into an IT car, the exposed glass should not be allowed.

and if we are allowing the glass out of the rear doors on some cars then i would say do it for all cars.

i suggest the OP submit a change to the rules. I would also like to state that barring someone coming up with an unforeseen issue, the IT board support it.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Rear windows cant be removed but run with them up. Not sure on the removal stuff if you could convert to manual windows which im sure dont exist that may be an option. Im sure there are some other places you can save some weight. Is 100% of all the sound deadening and undercoating from underneath wheel wells etc... All gone? Are you running the absolute lightest wheels you can find?
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

IMO, if the car can't make weight otherwise, I don't see a reason why an IT car shouldn't be allowed to remove window motors and whatnot. (It falls within class philosophy I would think).
    Write your friendly CRB a letter requesting clarification of such, and/or allowance to remove that junk if it is not currently allowed.

But hey, that's just me. These are freakin race cars. I don't need no window motor or washer fluid reservoir in my freakin race car.

... Yeah, I went there. Again.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

when I built my 4dr 142E Volvo, I petitioned the comp board, under errors and omissions, to change the wording about windows. A literal interpretation would have required that the rear windows also needed to be down, but there had been a finding in showroom stock that opened the door for closing them (whoo! near pun intended!)
    It was clear to me that the 4 door Volvo would have much better aero with them up.
    Also, since the front windows of 144Es were MUCH shorter than 142Es, and the vent windows could tame turbulence to the not so far back door pillar, I would have an advantage over the 2 door cars with their huge front window openings.
    Consider this and weigh your choices: aereo or weight?
    phil hunt

No on the rear windows. No allowance for it.

No on cutting holes for radiators for driver cooling systems. You can however work out a ducting arrangement from the window.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    We've had this discussion before...I don't recall the "final answer" but there was some disagreement.

The GCR, in the cage regs, states:

"Two side tubes connecting the front and main hoops across both door openings are mandatory."

No mention of "front" versus "rear" doors. Of course, the reason for this is protection of the driver, so the implication is the front doors.

However, the same regs also state:

"Door side tubes may extend into the front door."

...implying they cannot protrude into the rear door?

The regs further continue:

"In Improved Touring, Spec Miata, and Touring the door window glass, window operating mechanism, inner door trim panel, armrest, map pockets, wiring harnesses for door locks, windows, power mirrors, seat wiring, etc., and inside door latch/lock operating mechanism may be removed and the inner door structural panel may be modified, but not removed only if the door bars extend into the door cavity."

Therefore, one can remove/modify all those parts only if the doors bars extend into the door cavity. However, if one is only allowed to extend the tubes into the front door, then it follows you cannot remove those items from the rear door.

Finally, other than the "IIDSYCTYC", the ITCS states the following:

Thoughts? Counterpoints?

- GA
    Ok, so I went and reviewed the new cage section. Something interesting:

9.G.6
    Any number of additional tube elements is permitted within the boundaries of the cage structure. Such tube elements may pass through any mandatory or optional bulkhead or panel separating the driver/passenger compartment from the trunk/ cargo area/fuel tank/fuel cell area provided the bulkhead is sealed around such tube elements.

So, you can add an optional rear door bar (becaous it's not a manditory element it could be one tube of 1/2" x 0.080 thin wall) that extends into the door cavity, because it doesn't extend into any of the listed bulkheads, you don't need to add a seal around the optional tubes. Then it also satisfies the door bars (plural, no upper limit on the number of them) requirement for door gutting(not limited to front doors only). Tell my why this doesn't make sense??

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Tell my why this doesn't make sense??
    I suggest it meets the literal interpretation of the regs (not quite sure how you're going to "seal" the inner door cavity to the tubes and still be able to open the door) and I also suggest it's intorturation and potentially against the spirit of the regs could lead to being deemed non-compliant.

Worth a request for clarification (and/or request for regs change) before spending the money.

- GA

How about just letting me remove window motors ..... Keeping glass!.....hahaha
    I can not see how this hurts the rules or the class.... How many bmw's are running non-compliant???? Dumb reason to keep away. I will still play, just running out of ideas.

Thanks guys!

Greg