Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disappointing Weekend - Just happens?

When I moved to ITR I was not as confident as I was because of speed, RWD And just an all around different car. Usually when I go to a track I find at least one turn that I can feel safe and push the limit of the car. Within a lap or two I can build confidence in how fast I can push and what that feels like. At the Glen for me it is the second to last turn (left hander). I know I can go flat out and it's right on the edge, so I push for that same sense of grip and control in every other turn. At NHMS it's turn 6, each track has at least one spot for me that pick. I did this same thing at Mospirt and within 2 sessions I was 5 seconds a lap faster. Then after that I just needed to learn the track as I gained more speed every session concentrating on one turn at a time. Getting confidence in the car is the first thing you need to do, then go faster after your comfortable. Being uncomfortable is never a fun feeling, good luck and don't give up!

Stephen
    Last edited by StephenB; 08-01-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Excellent advice, Stephen - find that one corner, optimize it, then try to apply that to every other corner, one at a time...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

A couple of years ago, I was having a dismal start to my weekend at LRP. Just off my pace, had trust issues with the car that were unfounded, yet I couldn't shake it.

I was feeling like a real tool when I ran across Mike Rand in the paddock. He saw the droopy expression on me and asked me what was up. I asked him if he ever felt this way about his car.

His answer?" Happens all the time. Now you haul your ass back over there AND DRIVE THE F***ING THING!"

I went back over and ran the next sesssion back up to speed. I just needed a verbal kick in the ass.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

after a couple minor crashes, I was having a tough time , mentally, a few years ago.

I rode with my fastest, most reliable track buddy at an hpde.

do that. Let a few guys call you a wuss. Go drive it! Its just for fun. Haha
    Last edited by adamjabaay; 08-02-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew M View Post
    and sometimes, getting mad at it will make you angrily slam it into gear, and break the whole transmission!

Another thing I do is watch an old video in which I did really well. If anything, just to remind myself that I can drive competitively and it helps to put me back in that same focus/frame of mind/whatever you want to call it.
    Great advice! This is so helpful, I am trying to do that almost every weekend. It cuts down on time to get back into it. Believe it or not, with that method I could go out at NJMP first time in the car for the season and get a pole in the first lap. Doesn't need to be your video, similar powered cars do it as well and if they are well driven you might avoid burning some of your bad habits in your brain.

What helps me personally as well is to take time before the runs - arrive the night before, be at the track ahead of time, be geared up ahead of time, be in the car ahead of time, and go through the track mentally instead of chatting with others. I know others are not doing it and are just fine - for me it works. I had a bad day when I came straight from work, wasn't mentally there and was way off times from just days ago. The harder I tried, the worse it got. Lesson learned...
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Absolutely agree Rob. Be prepared well ahead of time. Cut the amount of things you need to worry about down so you can focus on driving.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing