Thread: Street tires in IT??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just like I said on the other forum. I like the idea of a better longer lasting tire.. I dislike the idea of having a weight break for the tires. For the reasons mentioned above.. the biggest is that some cars cannot already reach their minimum weight. Some cars are alot of cars. This will then not affect IT as a whole.. just those that want to try something else. So in affect you allow a group of people run lighter and cheaper tires and still be competitive. Yet the odds out get stuck with haivng to buy the $$$ tires to keep up.

Additionally, everyone mentions but quickly seems to disreguard it. ITB and ITC are left out in teh dry.. these tires do not come in their sizes. I understand that ITC is a field that not much attention is paid and I assume as new cars get faster ITB will be the same. However, currently ITB is a strong field. these tires that you speak of do not come in sizes that ITC and ITB run on. BFG rival? nope.. Bridgestone RE-11? nope.. Dunlop ZII? only a 185/60R14. Racing on a 60 series tire?

You mention that the weight break would be designed so they are NOT make the street car a winner and only have a chance at a podium if things work out.

According to Xian and others, these tires are not too far from a hoosier and in fact many claim that most would not see a big difference in overal time.

So if this IS the case.. then the cars swapping over to the "street tires" would already have a chance to win if things work out and they get to run the cheaper tires already.

I have run these street tires on my current street car and I love them. They are a incredible tire and they were my rain tires every race weekend until this last weekend. (the idea of having to remove the tires from my street car every race weekend was not an attractive one.)

I have raced at sebring in a dep ITB field (20+ of us on a drying track). The field was a mixed bag of tire choices. I was on Full tread RA-1s at the time and was beat out by an another compitor with his VW on Start specs. Now torque played out in that role but I was impressed with his tires.. he carried quite a bit of corner speed as the track dried.

After that I put them on my street car.. and the rest is history.

But if the performance is not that far behind the current tire, and teh idea is to give them a shot if things work out in their favor, why adjust the weight at all?
    Last edited by quadzjr; 07-17-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]