Thread: CRX won't start with new fuel pump

Default CRX won't start with new fuel pump

Have this old CRX. Was running. Had a mallory red pump. Fuel injected motor. 1st gen car.

I cleaned the fuel cell, put in some new lines correctly, one out and one vent back. Doing so I saw they had the old pump still in the lines. I removed the old pump, it was not connected, but the fuel ran through it.

Car won't run. There is fuel to the injectors. If I spray start fluid in a vacuum line it starts right up then dies.

Was that old pump doing something with pressure?

I'm not super familiar with the 1g CRX but I'm betting there's a safety circuit that looks at the fuel pump circuit to allow injectors. wire the pump back in, dry, see if it starts then.

Looking on line it seems to be an 1986-87 fuel pump. off the front is a banjo fitting with something called a muffler on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that's just a pulsation damper, often seen on fuel rail inlets as well. it's not your problem. I missed the part where you said the old pump wasn't connected to power.

check to see that the injectors are pulsing (use a stethoscope or noid) when you crank and verify fuel pressure in the rail, should be 36-41psi. make sure the pump you put on can provide that kind of pressure, many old carburetor pumps flow a ton of fuel but only at ~10 psi. Mallory pumps that can put out needed pressure have "FI" at the end of the part number (i.e. 4060FI, 5110FI). I always use walbro or Bosch in tank FI style pumps. the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is still there, correct? routing should be tank -> pump -> filter -> rail -> FPR -> return to tank, and the vent is a separate line that ran through a number of emissions valves tot he charcoal can and out. I'm assuming your cell has a rollover valve and a vent outside of the body to atmosphere. that should be fine.

redpepperracing is the go to site for these cars.
    87 civic service manual
    http://www.redpepperracing.com/techn...fsm/?g2_page=2
    some pages of note:
    http://www.redpepperracing.com/techn...b/aad.png.html
    http://www.redpepperracing.com/techn...b/aae.png.html
    Last edited by Chip42; 07-14-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: links, data

i am assuming you have confirmed power to the fuel pump and it is running properly. check the fuel pressure at the rail. may be a fuel pick up issue.

confirm the fuel pick up is on the right connection and that the internal hose/pick-up is on/at the bottom of the cell.

in our 1st gen lemons car, the fuel cell pick up line starting "floating" in the cell. chased that issue for a while.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I took out the foam and cleaned the cell. Pretty straight forward. I can recheck nothing is wrong. In the engine bay, nothing is changed, so it has the stock FPR and hoses.

I don't have any tools to check the fuel pressure, that is a problem, but it was running with the same pump in there now. A MSD 2225 inline type pump.

So it has to be a problem with the injectors or the cell I assume.