Thread: towing with your RV....

Default towing with your RV....

So I see people towing enclosed trailers all the time with class A RV's. My hitch on my RV is only rated at 5000lbs and 500 tongue weight, I can't imagine others are much higher so how do they do it? Should I change it, and if I should where do you get a hitch for something like this. I have called everywhere and noone wants to touch it

I looked into those load distribution things but they are not recomendedon RV's and I am not sure how well they would work with the long wheel base on a class A anyway.

Thoughts?
    Stephen

All class As I know if have a 10k hitch. I have seen class Cs try to tow inclosed with a 5k hitch and bent the rear of the coach. The structure from the tires back is not designed to handle the load and will flex and eventually fail. You can't just add a 10k hitch to replace the 5k, you must add structure, generally 2 x 3" tubing from in front of the wheels to the hitch with X bracing. Good luck getting someone to do it for you.
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Stephen:

I tow an 8,000lb enclosed with my E450 chassis Class C. When I bought it I had the dealer upgrade the hitch to a full 10,000lb one, and confirmed the RV manufacturer had installed the frame extension to Ford specs, which preserved the original towing and GCWR. All my weigh numbers are below limits, as I have a small 24' unit on a chassis with capacity for 31'. Empty, I'm under 10,000lbs with a 14,500lb GVWR, and a 22,000lb GCWR. I do use a weight distributing hitch, as do just about everyone with more than 500lbs of tongue weight. My trailer comes in at about 1,000lbs on the ball.

Is the MH a diesel or gasser, and on what chassis? The only one I'd be hesitant loading up is a Chevy P30, but I know people that have pulled 28'ers with them.
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

Its a frieghtliner. Big CAT diesel pusher with an Allison tranny. I am more worried about the frame and or hitch itself.

Stephen

And it only has a 5000lb hitch? Just about all pushers I've seen have 10,000lb ones. If its a Freightliner chassis I'd go to one of their service centers/dealers and start there. I'd suspect the frame is rated to pull 10k.
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

Same here...talk with Freightliner...I would be very surprised if it had a 5k hitch.
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Hey stephen i had the frame beefed up and never had a problem. Was 1000 bucks
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Thanks everyone!

I am bringing it to a place that does truck hitches, plows, and truck beds. They love racers, are in Candia NH so they are VERY close, and they think it will be super easy with some reinforcements and a universal class 5 hitch. And the best part is they can do it before next week when I want to leave for the Glen!

The one thing I learned from this experience is that I bet a LOT of racers are towing with hitches that are rated for 500LBS TW. I am shocked at the hitches I see as I check out trucks... even 1 ton trucks.

Stephen

Default Hitch

What Chuck said is correct. With motor homes you usually have to add structure from the wheels back to support the hitch and additional weight. We usually used a good welding shop and have had good results. You can also contact someone that repairs commercial auto haulers. Good luck