Thread: BMW automanual shifters

Default BMW automanual shifters

So this may have been covered in other threads so sue me for not running a search. I've got an E90 street car and cant believe how good the auto slap shiter works. Really runs like a sequential shifter.

My question is will this stand up to track use and will these ever get classed or approved by SCCA?

Porsche guy loving his BMW street ride
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Didn't we remove the restrictions against automatic transmissions?

Even if we did not, discuss the definition of "automatic transmission", especially in light that the original exclusion was due to concerns about torque converters, bands/clutches, and Dexron spilled on the track...

http://tgadrivel.blogspot.com/2012/0...automatic.html

Be....both Bob Green(the SCCA pace car driver for LRP) and screamin' Simon, the former British rally driver and Director of the Club at LRP run new V8 M3's with the auto box. Bob runs hot laps with spectators on board during lunch hour....and Simon does solo hot laps where he drifts the entire track with the auto box!! No problems I have ever heard of.

are those traditional autos or dual clutch boxes?

BMW's SMG uses a computer-controlled "conventional" clutch and "manual" gearbox; I do not know if it's dual- or single-clutch.

VW's DSG is a dual-wet-clutch, coaxial-shaft system. - GA

SMG has been around a long time. The old ones were single clutch, for sure. I should research it better, but it's NOT a dual clutch. Original gen ('E36, and E46, so late 90s to mid 00's) SMGs (Sequential Manual Gearbox) are hotly debated with the majority in the "hate" camp. Reliability and HUGE repair costs are cited as evils, along with around town shift abruptness. Of course, Skippy doesn't pay for the cars that his staff hoons, so that might enter into their reckless drifting, LOL

I guess the new version is better. It is a dual clutch. The one in the brand new M6 I drove seemed way better, but my press drives were very short.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 06-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

probably the wrong place for it, but the dual clutch and sequential, automated single clutch boxes popping up in production cars more and more are going to create a real have/have not situation in many classes. not so much in IT, where all of these cars are 3-4 new classes too fast, but touring etc... and I think ST should really consider the weight adder for sequential and dual clutch boxes regardless of fitment being OE or aftermarket (currently its 100# for aftermarket sequential boxes only in STU).

I sooo want to take mine out for a track day but I just have that feeling all would be gteat until BLAM!

Like an RX7 trans that was perfect until that hard 2nd to 3rd shift...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion