Thread: The Turbo problem in STU

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    ...ask Breault why he switched from a Z3 to a sedan/coupe.
    I think he switched because he was frustrated that the rear suspension on the Z3 kinda really sucks, right? The 328 is just a better car overall. And he got a killer deal on it, already developed, instead of continuing with development on the Z3.

I haven't seen anything about any of the finishers in STU getting DQ'ed. Can you fill me in with any more information?
    Mark Hoover was DQ'd due to a non-compliant turbo inlet restrictor. I do not know the exact details, but hearsay has it that it did not maintain the 3mm distance as required by the GCR Technical Glossary definition:

Turbo Inlet Restrictor – A system to limit engine performance that meets these criteria. The inlet restrictor shall have a single, circular opening through which all inlet air passes. The maximum ID of the restrictor is listed on the vehicle’s spec line. The restrictor’s maximum ID must be maintained for at least 3 mm. This 3 mm restrictor segment shall be placed within 50 mm of the rotating section (impeller assembly) of the pressurizing unit. On engines where the approved turbo prohibits meeting this distance, different locations may be approved by the CRB on a case by case basis. If an alternative location is approved, the entire restrictor assembly shall have a maximum length of 50 mm. There shall be no other provisions for airflow to the turbocharger other than through this single orifice.
    I'm guessing we'll see something in the Appeals Court section of Fastrack, assuming it got that far.

- GA
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 10-01-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I think he switched because he was frustrated that the rear suspension on the Z3 kinda really sucks, right? The 328 is just a better car overall. And he got a killer deal on it, already developed, instead of continuing with development on the Z3.
    If we are talking about Rob he not only abandoned the Z3 chassis but the Z3 in ITA. He built the E36 from scratch from a 328.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

Mark Hoover was DQ'd due to a non-compliant turbo inlet restrictor. I do not know the exact details, but hearsay has it that it did not maintain the 3mm distance as required by the GCR Technical Glossary definition:

I'm guessing we'll see something in the Appeals Court section of Fastrack, assuming it got that far.

- GA
    The arms on the rear are litterally off of an e-30, and Eric seems to be making that work. Might have to do with the Chapman principal: if movement causes non ideal goemetry stop the movement.