Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most dangerous driver in IT.

Default Most dangerous driver in IT.

According to two of my competitors, that would be me. If refusing to fold to intimidation is dangerous, then I am. COOL!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Um, story?

Not sure your the MOST, hes in our group. Not sure your even in the top 10, Whats the story?????
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

Having faced two of the disputed leaders, I haven't even heard of you.

Rookie.

K

Looooong story! Started a year ago spring race at NHMS. I had a radiator problem...small hole from debris, new radiator, no spare with me. Another in my class, drives a yellow Golf, graciously offered his expertise at field fixing the problem. Solved, went on to race with him at least two races that weekend...good close racing, with him squeaking out a win over our grossly underpowered Honda, mostly because he was learning the track for the first time. Had a few times when I felt he was being a bit crowding, chopping....but I let it go because he obviously had the faster car and had helped out and saved our weekend for us.

Fast forward to LRP. His protege in a black Golf qualified next row back and right behind me, again obviously a stronger car, not as much corner speed. He got a much better start and got up beside me to my right, I had a car to my left and couldn't move over. He ran out of room to the right....grass. Suffice to say we got together his left rear and my right front touched, he spun in front of me, I hit him in the drivers side rear door. My car went dead stick, and I parked at station 2 (Big Bend). He continued and finished the race with lots of negative camber. Don't know why my car died...should have tried to re-start it, because it fired up and I drove back to the paddock. Well, given my natural calm personality, I went to his paddock area and WENT OFF on the roughly 10 people who were there...he wasn't. Later, he and 2-3 friends came to our paddock area to "discuss" the situation, needless to say it was a "he said, I said" deal and nothing was resolved. Unfortunately, our camera went to "rest" mode before the race and we had nothing on video. I queried here after the event to see if anyone behind us had video to see who moved over on whom....no takers.

Jump ahead to this year at Pocono, they were garaged just down and across from us. I went down, stuck out my hand and apologized for my behavior in his paddock area the year before....we shook hands, and agreed to disagree on the etiology of the incident at LRP.

This past weekend at NHMS, the yellow Golf and the black Golf qualified 1st, 2nd to my third in the rain. Our Honda was handling evilly....a suspension problem that was not discovered until Sun. am, was causing sudden intermittent infinitely stiff rear roll stiffness....my stupidity! I made a pass attempt into 6 on the first lap, immediately got into a real tank slapper in traffic! The black Golf tried to go under me...we got together, I went for a ride through the gravel and left 7 DFL. Managed to climb back up to 3rd. Went to contact impound after the race, took full blame for the incident, apologized profusely and shook his hand.

Sunday am race, started 3rd, got up to 2nd, then back to 3rd when Nat came ripping through. Raced ahead of black Golf for most of race, he had waaaay more power but I was much faster in the oval, so was able to stay ahead of him, until he tried a late braking move inside into 3, I stayed out and executed a beautiful (even if I do say so myself) crossover on him. No contact. Video shows that I was well ahead before moving to the exit of the track, even though they claimed after that I forced him off!

Finished 3rd, started the last race of the day, just like all the others, right behind the yellow Golf. I anticipated the green and got a jump on him, and went to his left, at which point I got squeezed to the wall, even though our video shows no traffic to his right. I don't take intimidation well, and kept my foot in it....we got to the end of the wall, there was traffic to his right at that point...he lifted, I didn't. He beat me to 3 and drove away. Black Golf beat me to 3 also, but I managed to take my little Honda with double digit HP and get back by him and barely held on for the 3rd 3rd of the weekend.

After the race, I had just changed and was getting ready to load up and go home, Steph was off being Trophy Girl, black Golf driver and yellow Golf driver stopped by to explain to me how I was the most dangerous driver in IT. Well, in my opinion, driving to intimidate and then getting pissed because someone doesn't fold is not real gentlemanly. But then, my suggesting they go take turns butt f¥€king each other may not have been too civilized either.
    Ed Funk

Default The wall

One time at the start of a race I was squeezed all the way to the wall. No fun. When drivers play unfairly the racing can loose its fun factor in a hurry. I hope the "B" cars can work on this. Sorry to hear Ed
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    I anticipated the green and got a jump on him,
    What exactly is anticipating the green and how do you do it?

On track incidents and the resulting paddock drama isn't fun at all and ruins everyone's weekend. I hope you folks can get it resolved.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 05-27-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Two of the most level headed racers I know are My former Skip Barber instructors, Bob Green and Rick Pocock.Also, Mike Rand. Since at least 2 of the 3 will be at LRP in June, they might be a good source to sit down with and hash it out. Bob Green is the Bimma pace car driver for SCCA at LRP......and has more common sense then most anyone else I have met!! Mike Rand, who is A FF and CF racer runs(or ran) until very recently the F1600/F2000 group of young guns....and knows a thing or two about resolving temper issues!!

[QUOTE=Ron Earp;347068]What exactly is anticipating the green and how do you do it?

Just got lucky. The field had started to speed up, just as I hit the gas to try to catch up, the green fell.
    Ed Funk

I'm tired of this story. Clean racing is great fun. Beating and banging and drama in amateur racing is not.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Absolutely agree. It really quickly takes the fun out.

I had one driver in ITB whom changed things from being fun to me wanting to punt him even when I was driving in a different class (racing with . Had the chance last year, didn't take it. The fact it becomes that just sucks.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Just posted at our local Post Office on the most wanted board:

WANTED: IN NOMEX....OR IN CUFFS,HIGHLY DANGEROUS...HAS THE ABILITY TO CUT YOU OFF IN A CORNER AT THE DROP OF A FLAG. KNOWN TO HANG OUT AND TERRORIZE APEXES!!

OSAMA BIN FUNK

APPROACH WITH CARE!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ed...you realize my post is in fun!!......LOL

Oh, I thought you were being another one of those elitist NER A-holes.
    Ed Funk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    Oh, I thought you were being another one of those elitist NER A-holes.
    Since I've never heard a negative word about your track conduct or seen any example of it until you brought it up....the poster was the only way I could make light of a situation that doesn't seem to exist.......LOL.

Interesting to hear that I'm not the only one with an issue with said driver. Someday...

I do like his business partner and seems much more level headed. Not sure if I'd lump them together.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Both Steph and Ed had similar "incidents" on Sunday. I'd not have wanted to be the one that insulted either of them...

Based on the description, I think I have had less than friendly words w/ one of these drivers. Squeezed me un-necessarily in qualifying, no big deal, but irritating. Ran into the back of me on the start w/ a tow hook that popped a hole in the bumper cover, again not a huge deal, but irritating so I asked him politely if he could consider changing it to something less destructive. I got a decent amount of attitude about 'no one else seems to care, why would I change it just because you asked'.

There might have also been an incident w/ a Blethen car too....

Sawzall and a midnight paddock visit could fix that there tow hook.....
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post
    y

There might have also been an incident w/ a Blethen car too....
    That was a renter in his first race and he made good and felt really really bad. Bad mistake but I don't have anything against him because of how he handled the situation.

Stephen

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JonOgVC--7Y[/ame]
    Last edited by StephenB; 05-28-2013 at 11:25 PM.