Thread: Clutch question

Default Clutch question

It's time to replace the clutch in my ITA Miata and I have a question. I currently have a 4 puck solid disc in the car and while it's fine on track it sucks in the paddock and loading to the trailer. Lots of chatter and abuse to the driveline, etc with the 4puck solid.

What are the on track performance differences between a solid and sprung disc?

Thanks
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

I doubt it's a huge measurable difference.

Better off with a sprung hub for the reasons you cite.

Everything last longer sprung.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Default trailer loading

Short of changing the disc altogether, I recommend pushing the car, or using a winch to decrease the drama to the drive train, and wear on the parts.

If the clutch is working for you on the track (just what you'd hope to have), why change?

My opinion...I used to push a lot, and save the race car parts for the race track.

Good Racing,

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

we used to use the 6 puck type...

however, our biggest problem over the years has been keeping the transmissions intact...
    in fact, for our three RX7s we have in stock six additional transmissions,
    three in rebuild, and three ready for use... if you remember one NHMS race weekend
    last year I broke the tranny in the 14 car on the first lap of qualifying, trailered
    home, swapped another tranny in in 1.5hrs, and returned to win the race after starting
    from the back

what does this have to do with clutches you ask? well, we found that downgrading the clutch
    from a six puck racing clutch to a "stage 1" exedy street performance clutch greatly
    reduced the incidence of transmission failure ... our measly 175hp isn't what the
    racing clutches were created for... the street performance ones work just fine, and they put
    less shock load into the tranny ... here is the exedy page:

http://www.exedyusa.com/race_clutch/...e_1_clutch.php

best!
    Glenn

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010