Thread: Manifold / TB rule revisions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    I would if I could. but I can't. and if the STAC members can't even answer it......
    Well, here's MY answer (note the signature).

If you install a STU-compliant 4TB engine into a STU-compliant 1TB car, you can run the engine's 4TB intake. If you install a STU-compliant 1TB engine into a STU-compliant 4TB car, you can run the 4TB intake. And, per the regs, you can build a 1" spacer to make it all fit.

Now, WTF this all means in the very unhappy world of BMW owners is beyond me (and, very quickly, going beyond my interest).

Eric had a reason for bringing this up in committee; if we can't remember why, then the point is moot.

- GA

So Greg, IYHO the rule is non-sensical and thus isn't enforceable?

I guess I should write the paper then.

Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

What makes the rule ambigous is somehow the words "for the installed engine" got left off of the TB limitation.

Therefore, the BMW in question would not have the option (assuming 6cyl) of using the ITBs from an engine that is not allowed in STU, even though it came in his chassis at some point in time.

I will submit a letter to get this clarified

Good call, D.

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    The "writing a rule to prevent something specific" trap. I believe that's Ad Hoc committee standard error 37.1...?

K
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Aye-yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhrmx5 View Post
    What makes the rule ambigous is somehow the words "for the installed engine" got left off of the TB limitation.

Therefore, the BMW in question would not have the option (assuming 6cyl) of using the ITBs from an engine that is not allowed in STU, even though it came in his chassis at some point in time.

I will submit a letter to get this clarified
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Good call, D.
    Greg, you really flip-flopped on that one....

Actually, even if you add that it still presents a problem. What if you're starting out with a car from a smaller displacement and going larger. Then you're limiting the car to what came with it on the smaller displacement class. Just take Kirk's advice and scrap this rules abomination.

isn't it supposed to be about displacement?

if you don't want a specific list of OEM intakes, list the forbidden OEM intakes.

you already forbid specific chassis and whole engines, this doesn't seem a stretch of the current rule style, and keeps wonky unusable and unintended consequence ridden rules out of the book.