Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: NHMS Memorial Day Weekend, 2013

I am not whining. Saturday morning in the wet I was on pole in class. Of course leave to me the only session I did really well in was the one with no points or trophies.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I had a great time this weekend, despite the rain.

Does anyone know the story with the RX7 that caught fire in the last race on Sunday? I saw it dragging something during the race...it looked a little like exhaust wrap but was hard to see for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
    I had a great time this weekend, despite the rain.

Does anyone know the story with the RX7 that caught fire in the last race on Sunday? I saw it dragging something during the race...it looked a little like exhaust wrap but was hard to see for sure.
    The unraveling exhaust insulation was unrelated. It appears there was a small fuel leak in the engine compartment that eventually found an ignition source. All fuel and oil lines were intact.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Glad it was resolved safely. I have video of the fire from a few cars back if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    Well I bolted on a used set of Hoosier H2O's and ran pretty good with no issues.
    and this coming from a guy who never races in the rain!
    I agree with Jerry. Other than turns 2 and 12, I thought the grip level was pretty good.

But then again I have only raced in the rain a handful of times before, so what would I know ?

Abhi

Greg "Does" IT7...a.k.a., Why Racing is Awesome

http://tgadrivel.blogspot.com/2013/0...s-awesome.html

Great write up Greg! I could actually hear Dan's voice when you were quoting him " Can't do that". Lol.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else.

Glad you guys had fun.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

Good stuff Tga! Anyone has videos of IT-7/A race posted up anywhere yet?
    Ray Lee Chee
    rleechee at comcast.net
    Oxford, Ct

Video forthcoming. I need to edit and compress before I can upload to vimeo. My video will be from front-pack of the group though there is a lot more action at mid-pack.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

What a great race Sunday afternoon! Definitely action mid-pack!
    Had a great time, a lot of side by side racing every lap, but very clean....very fun! I personally learned a lot about clean aggressive racing from some great racers and came out without even a dent! Personal best time didn't hurt either!
    Denise VanBuren

If anyone can teach me how and where to post in car video, mine was mid pack and action packed!
    Denise VanBuren

Youtube is very easy. Do you have a gmail account? It only takes a minute to set one up and upload your video.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

I do not have a gmail account but I will try and figure it out!
    Thanks
    Denise VanBuren

Denise:

We were together for quite a bit of the 2nd ITA race on Sunday. You're right--it was good clean racing and I had a blast!

I've got the video uploading now and it should be at http://youtu.be/NktM98IyriM when it's done.

This was my first race weekend with SCCA, and it was certainly a real learning experience for me. I had varying luck with starts, and need to work on them for sure.

If you watch right after the blue RX7 pulls off on fire, it looks like there might have been a pass under yellow in front of the turn 5 flag station.

-jeff

Jeff... welcome!...glad you are racing with us!!

If you move the GoPro down a little we won't be trying to look under the mirror in the vid

The no passing starts "6.1.1.B ...from the flag until ..." and I stepped through the
    video a few times until I was convinced that Denise had gotten just ahead of you
    by the time you both reached the flag

nice race!

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

I agree with Glenn. The integra gets a run on you After the incident at 3 but Before the standing yellow at 5 for the parked tiger. The double yellow isnt seen till the tree house at 8
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dano77 View Post
    I agree with Glenn.
    Ditto. I think she had you before the station 5 flag. If you look up ahead of that, you'll see that Brad Bray *just* didn't make it past me (red IT7) and had to back off.

And do move that mirror up. I kept finding myself trying to duck under it to the see the action.

BTW, we got much entertainment while sitting in the Dunkin' Donuts, when you drove the ITA race car in the drive-through window...kudos to you!

- GA

This was my first outing with the gopro...definitely need to get it or the mirror moved. I also need to get it hard-wired for power--it was dead for the first ITA race and died again later in the day.

I appreciate the analysis on the yellow flag...it's all learning for me.

I'm going to try to keep the Miata street legal for a bit longer...my wife is driving with COM and doing autocross, so it's handy for it to be on the street. It's also easier to get it thru the drive-thru than the hauler :-)

The first STx/SSM race from Sunday is uploading and will be at http://youtu.be/Nc6C7n8D17M when Youtube is done with it. The 2nd STx race will hopefully finish overnight and will be http://youtu.be/-AVceMhKdxY .

-j
    Last edited by jwasilko; 05-28-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    #08 ITA/STL Miata

Because you are a new guy and for those playing along at home, I agree that the pass at 5 was likely legal under the letter of the law because the no passing zone is from the flag to the incident. Remember however had that been a double yellow it would have been not legal because when you see a double yellow you need to assume the whole track is yellow.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

true enough ...but that makes me think of an interesting situation

say car A and car B get through a turn, and immediately after a double yellow is thrown...
    then car B passes car A immediately after, before any line of sight to the next flag station

technically that pass was under double yellow and illegal, but (assuming neither driver has a radio)
    neither knows if it was legal or not... (if a tree falls in the forest yada yada yada)

in fact, any pass made on a lap that goes double yellow is suspect

Last edited by lawtonglenn; 05-29-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010