Thread: FIA Seat mounting

Default FIA Seat mounting

Did a search but did not find any previous posts.

How are people mounting their seats (ie. are you bolting to the floor, fabricating bracket welded to body structure. To the cage)

Honestly, it's ALL over the place. Frankly, I think it's an issue. Greg Amy will fill you in on what tech looks for, but, the rules have massive holes in them.

Sliders are forbidden, BUT, you can legally mount your seat with aluminum rivits, or bubble gum.
    Mounting to the cage is tricky, because in IT we have a limit of 6 mounting points for the cage structure, plus two optional ones that are limited to the firewall.
    There ARE ways around that, but it's tricky. (I think I'm up to date on that aspect...greg?)

No matter what, though, mount the seat where you fit comfortably, and back any thin sheet metal attachment points appropriately.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Actually Jake, having just looked at the rules prior to this post, they have clarified that seat mounting explicitly does NOT count as mounting points.

That is part of the reason I am curious what others are doing. I may actually get started on cage fab soon and that will be an integral part of the design.

Default Seat Mounting

We are currently building a 944 and the seat mounting will be to a structure that comes off the cage. Not mounted to the floor.

drops from the cage to the floor, making something of a U or a box, depending on your access. use square tube. stitch weld this to the floor. drill holes down through the "cage" and floor where you want the seat mount bolts (assuming standard FIA seat style side brackets), drill back up with a larger hole only through the floor and lower face of the square tube. larger hole should be large enough to allow access via a hex head tot he 8mm or whatever size socket head screw your use to bolt through the seat mounts. locknut on top.

OR you can get a seat mounting adapter from "planted" who sell them for a BUNCH of cars. bolts to the OEM seat mounting points which are usually pretty strong, and allows bolting of standard FIA side mounts or direct bolting of lower mounts to it. easy way to add a seat to a car that is already built / for those with less fab time / access / whatever.