At RRR last weekend I was having an issue with my IT7 car hitting a dead spot right around 7krpm. It would pull strong up to about 7k, then almost stall, then come back to life and pull fine up to 8500.

Only did this in the straight, did not notice any problems running this engine speed when cornering or just sitting static in the paddock. Sounds bizarre but it almost seemed like an electronic interference (it happened right at the finish line, and nowhere else).

Seems like it's somehow ignition related and a quick look at our ignition system revealed a cap and rotor that were a little bit corroded (though replaced less than a year ago), and coils that are very old. Figured it might be a good time to replace the coils whether they are the root cause of this problem or not, but I'm not finding much info on what to look for. Does everyone just use stock replacement coils, or are there better ones to use? MSD and Mallory both sell a variety of "universal" coils but I'm not sure how to select between them.

Car is a 79 with a newer electronic distributor. No MSD box or anything, just stock 80+ ignition.

Any suggestion on coils, and anything else that could cause this type of problem would be appreciated!

Thanks!