Thread: Another seat question

Default Another seat question

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this but figured it would get more views here.

FIA seats I have used in the past seemed to be designed for the average male in their country of origin (usually somewhere in Europe). As I am a slightly larger than average American male, just over 6ft and just under 200 pounds, these seats often don't fit me well.

I can usually squeeze into the narrow hip pockets and I like the secure feeling it provides. What I don't like is the fact that the shoulder "wings" usually hit me right in the shoulder blades and squeeze my fairly broad shoulders together and forward. I always feel like in an accident this would probably result in extra harm.

I've tried a few aluminum seats and they are much better is this regard.

So my question (finally) is, can anyone recommend an FIA seat that is comfortable for taller and wider, but not necessarily "fatter" drivers? Preferably something "affordable", not $1000's worth of custom-fit carbon fiber.

Thanks,
    Rory

PS. It is for a Civic so size/space is not a big concern

Anything German--Recaro or Koenig.

Made for bigger butts.

Forget the Eyetalian stuff--very nice seats but seemingly not for our sizes.

there are some "plus" and "American" sizes in the Italian seats. sparco's EVO seat comes in 3 sizes now for this reason, and most companies have a t least one winged and one non winged seat made in skinny and American nominal sizes.

but yeah, country of origin dictates to some degree the size of the seat. stay away from tubular steel FIA seats, too. the pressure points on the shoulder for wider guys are really bad with those in my experience (I have wide shoulders myself)

Great info. Thanks. MOMO seems to have a few nicely priced seats, just not sure I'd fit.

I've got both a Sparco Evo2 in my IT car and a Sparco "Jr" or somesuch in my lemon... I'm 6'2" ish, and well north of 200lb, and both are fine, even for 2-3hrs at a stretch....

Cobra Imola will fit you perfect. They also have GT width that is about 2" wider in the hips. Figure 15" wide for standard and 17" for the GT. For Momo and Sparco check with LTB. Great guy to dealwith.

http://ltbautosports.com/
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Anyone using Momo Daytona or Supercup seats. Look like a sweet spot for price.

On a (somewhat) related note, I was wondering about head supports with my HANS. I wish that I had an inch or two for my head to move back from where it is now with my aluminum seat. Ideas? Opinions?

Scott
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

that really depends on how your seat is mounted in the car, what it's up against, available room, etc...

is this in the silver baby grand? If so, I'm the guy who pointed out your phone on the dash this past weekend, and I don't remember there being much room.

one option that's usually available is to install a containment headrest where you want it to be, and chop the top of the seat at the shoulder line. I don't advocate this, but it's possible to do it safely.

That's me, Chip. I agree that there isn't much room. The seat rests against the cage now. Also, the headrest part of the containment seat would interfere with my egress, unfortunately. Maybe I'll look at rotating the seat to have it reclined more, which might increase the space between the HANS and the headrest. Thanks for the insight. And thanks for pointing out my phone on the dash, too!

Scott
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

I'm 6'2" and 200... Look a the Recaro Pro Race, Cobra Sebring, Racetech large, and some of the OMP's. any of these should give you a comfy fit. FastTech Limited would be my choice for the Recaro and Trackspeed for the OMP. Don't think I know any retailers who carry the Cobra and Racetech.

FWIW, I tried out the Momo Daytona and some of the standard Sparco offerings. All their winged configurations were too short and/or narrow. I know Sparco makes non-winged options that would work though.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear