Thread: Spares to the track

Default Spares to the track

What do you take with you to the track in the form of spare parts? At what point do you say my weekend is done and I'll replace that @%#$! part at home.
    John W8

CSP10 Miata
    ITA50 Miata

Our goal is to have all of the common and relatively replaceable spares like a radiator, ball joints and tie rod ends, pair of CV axles, an ECU, a transmission, clutch & PP, master and slave cylinders, full set of calipers, some generic brake lines with hardware that will get you through the weekend, tune up stuff (capr rotor plugs and wires) at least one full car teardown's worth of replacement hardware, and model specific problem parts, front hubs in many cases. anything that's an "assembly" comes to the track that way, so hubs have studs, new bearing, and complete knuckle all prepped and ready to go. we're at ~75% of that list currently.

and consumables like fluids, wheels tires, brake pads, rotors, etc...

Obviously, it helps when you have a number of guys running the same make/model car. if 2 guys need a gearbox, you fight over it. A big ass enclosed trailer where all of this stuff can live between races is a big help. if it's a single car operation on a small tow rig, the list shrinks. the more cars in your "team", the more of this list you bring and CAN bring because you have more hands to help when needed. swapping an engine is a much bigger job for one guy than for 5.

quit when the motor pops (if you don't have a spare), the car gets wrecked beyond available spares, or repairs take more time than you have until the next session (common on "double" weekends). otherwise, we try to make it happen.

I carry a spare O2 sensor, a spare crank position sensor...but then I drive a BMW
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Depends on how important an event is and how long of a trip. The amount of spares that I carry now is generally less than a few years ago when I was more motivated. The past few year I got to the point where if a repair will take a few hours, load it on the trailer, hang out with friends and enjoy beer.

Brake pads, fluid, gorilla tape.

Now I admit to having gone on the other extreme when tGA told me he had a TON of room in his enclosed (a trip from CT to Road Atlanta) where I brought everything. You know, fire wood, a glove box that wasn't installed....

Wait, you drive a Miata? Leave stuff home! Even if you need something, you have 100 other people to borrow it from. lol
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Default Spares

Just took a look at spares, includes 1 distributor w/cap &rotor, carburetor, l&r lower control arms(integral lower ball joint), assorted carb jets, rear hub & brg assy, assorted nuts, bolts etc, timing light, battery charger, spare battery, alternator belt, brake pads, toggle switches, fuses, pop rivets & gun, electrical wire -2 colors -14ga, spare holley fuel pump, fuel hose, slip plates, alignment string, 4 jack stands, tie rod end, drip pan, L&R front Axle assy's, inner & outer CV Boot Kit, tie wraps(assorted) oil filter, and way too much more stuff. Follow murphy's law, if it can break, it will.
    JOHN E. FINE
    2012 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION
    2011 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION
    2010 SEDIV ITC ECR CHAMPION

Full set of brakes (calipers, rotors, etc.)
    Half shafts
    Loaded A-arms
    Carb. parts
    Ignition parts
    Spare loaded head
    Timing Belt

Luckily, most of my parts like alternators and such are available easily at the local parts store. My thought process with the above stuff is that those things could be changed between sessions, whereas anything much deeper puts me down for the day. I'll also say that I benefitted from buying the car from a car-prep-junkie (coughMattRowecough), so my spares kit was reasonably well stocked when I got the car.

Next time I go to MidO, I'm taking more impact-related spares though...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

set of Lug nuts
    wheel studs (ARP studs- I keep a "card" of 5 studs in the toolbox)
    Brake lines/hoses
    brake rotors
    brake pads- at least 2 compounds front and rear
    caliper rebuild kit
    random nuts and bolts
    belts
    radiator hoses
    clutch disc & Throwout bearing
    spare differential- usually w/ different gearing
    heim joints/rod ends for sway bars and suspension links
    outer tie rods. I should probably add a set of inner rods, since those are the ones that bend if I have an off/contact.
    random lengths of rubber hoses and vacuum lines
    full set of fluids & filters
    2-3 sets of wheels & tires, plus rains
    Edit: at least one wheel bearing/hub assy, front and rear.

for long-distance races, I'll also take:
    spare tranny
    second differential (in case I want to change gearing, or have multiple failures)

Thus far, the only things I have NEEDED at the track are replacement brake pads and fluid. I burned up a clutch and killed some synchros at an out of town race, but that was at the end of the weekend and I was able to finish the race and fixed it at home.

Bascally, all of the above fits in 2-3 Rubbermaid totes and on the floor of the trailer. (I haz 24ft enclosed trailer, so plenty of room.)
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 04-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW8 View Post
    What do you take with you to the track in the form of spare parts? At what point do you say my weekend is done and I'll replace that @%#$! part at home.
    I don't own a set of tools or any spares. I bring Matt Kessler.

Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi View Post
    I don't own a set of tools or any spares. I bring Matt Kessler.

Abhi
    Perhaps you should bring a body-man as well
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

Its all about doing your personal Best

I take a pretty full set of tools and minimal spares- brake parts (pads & rotors), spark plugs, spare tires and that is about it. I typically don't have crew with me nor the space to carry a spare trans or anything that big...

A pair of front uprights with bearings and hub, ready to go and a pair of axles.
    Spare tranny if you have one.
    Joe Camilleri
    HP Scirocco
    Check out the VW Club Racers Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=309326556818

I think this question should be asked in reverse. What do you want to be able to - or have the ability and time to - fix while you are at the track? If you answer that, then you can create a list of things that will suit your needs.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I think this question should be asked in reverse. What do you want to be able to - or have the ability and time to - fix while you are at the track? If you answer that, then you can create a list of things that will suit your needs.
    To some extent yes. I couple "How much am I willing to fix to still make the race weekend happen" with "What's the most likely stuff to break on a 16yr old car either due to wear or contact"

The basic jist is consumables and the moving parts..
    clutch, brakes, wheel bearings, tie rods, hoses, with the occasional munched tranny.

I'm willing to change a clutch/tranny if I'm out of town. I'm not willing to swap an engine since it would be a gamble on a junkyard spare- I'll just pack up and go home. If I'm in town, I'll be willing to fix a bit more to finish a weekend.. BUT my house is 10 min away. I'll just load the car up, fix it in the comfort of my garage, then come back to the track in the morning.
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 04-25-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

No matter how much I crap I stuff into my trailer, it's never what I need.

So I bring general maintenance items: pads/rotors, fluids, beer. Anything else besides that needed and I ignore the first two and focus on the third.

- GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    No matter how much I crap I stuff into my trailer, it's never what I need.

So I bring general maintenance items: pads/rotors, fluids, beer. Anything else besides that needed and I ignore the first two and focus on the third.

- GA
    ditto (replace the word beer with vino)
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Pack the tools that you used in the last 4 hrs of service.
    Pack the bolts for axles, clutch etc.
    Make sure that you have the special tools to fit the weird stuff. VW clutch cover is 9mm 12 pt. Mazda head bolt tool . BMW trans to engine socket.
    Good beer.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/