Thread: Omission or intent of the rules

Angry Omission or intent of the rules

Greg Amy & Forum members: In reading the rules for the preparation of my vehicle for STL I noticed some differences between IT and STL. Specifically, IT rules state 1.)you can "blueprint" the engine. 2.) hardware and fasteners are free.
    yet there is no mention in STL for either rule. Is this an omission/oversight or is this by intent. If it is intent then am I correct in my interpretation that head studs(ARP) rod bolts, main cap studs/bolts must be stock(OEM)?

On another point I have been in a philosophical discussion relative to ST and driver license requirements for NAT'L races. Specifically, this often times heated discussion, centers on the fact that competitors no longer need a nat'l license for competition in nat'l races across the board. Supposedly, this interpretation is based on the language of giving IT competitors the chance to run nat'l races in ST. Since IT cars are regional only these fellow members have made the leap that you only need a regional license on the nat'l level. They have also taken the approach that the Super Tour is the main reason and that nat'l racing by Division for all classes is to be eliminated.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by racermr2 View Post
    ...IT rules state 1.)you can "blueprint" the engine. 2.) hardware and fasteners are free...yet there is no mention in STL for either rule.
    Technically, specifying that "blueprinting" is free is superfluous and redundant. If one were to truly "blueprint" an engine - make all parts meet the optimal design spec - then how is one to know otherwise? If all parts meet the "blueprint" spec then they are regs-compliant parts, regardless of how they got there (random chance or intentional act).

As for fasteners...

9.1.4.C.13, under "Bodywork", states "Fasteners are free provided they are of the same material family and diameter as the fastener it is replacing." I think the intent is for all fasteners in the whole of the category. Want to send in a request for clarification via the CRB form? Dunno where we'd put it, but I'll see if we can get that corrected on an E&O next Fastrack.

...ST and driver license requirements for NAT'L races....giving IT competitors the chance to run nat'l races in ST.
    Category of the car has nothing to do with driver requirements for entering events. They are nothing but coincidental in name.

License level determines what event you are qualified to enter, not what car you can drive. For example, National-licensed drivers can drive Regional-only cars and vice versa; Novice Permit holders can race a GT-1 or FA if they wanted (and can afford it).

Regardless of the category of car you are choosing to enter, your license classification must meet the requirements for the event entered. Therefore, despite the fact you are driving a Regional-Only car (ITx) in a National (or Majors) event, you are still required to hold a National license to enter.

Now, how that's going to work in 2014 in regard to Regional events allowing qualification toward a Runoffs invitation is still in discussion...

- GA

Quote Originally Posted by racermr2 View Post
    On another point I have been in a philosophical discussion relative to ST and driver license requirements for NAT'L races. Specifically, this often times heated discussion, centers on the fact that competitors no longer need a nat'l license for competition in nat'l races across the board. Supposedly, this interpretation is based on the language of giving IT competitors the chance to run nat'l races in ST. Since IT cars are regional only these fellow members have made the leap that you only need a regional license on the nat'l level. They have also taken the approach that the Super Tour is the main reason and that nat'l racing by Division for all classes is to be eliminated.
    In 2013 you still need a national license to run a Majors Tour event or a conventional National. Both are sanctioned as National events so the license requirement applies.
    There is a group in place looking at reforming the license system for 2014 I am not sure what they will come up, IMHO all we really need is a novice level and a regular competition level so I hope it is that simple but this is the SCCA so simple is not always the answer that happens.
    If in 2014 when it is possible to qualify for the Runoffs by running a divisional championship by running events sanctioned as Regionals, If there are no license changes, the answer being discussed is you could qualify for an invite with a regional license if you do you would need to upgrade to a national to compete in the Runoffs.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

From the 2013 GCR, pg 140 (Appendix C)
    2.8 Regional License
    A. A driver who has completed all Novice permit requirements, including the acknowledgement signature of the Chief Steward or Chairman SOM, may follow the directions in the permit to apply for an upgrade to a Regional License. For the three consecutive weekends after he has submited his Regional License to the National Office for processing, he may use a photocopy of the Permit as a License to race. Or he may retain the original Novice Permit until he completes 4 Regional Races (beyond the initial 2 for the Novice Permit requirement) to earn a National License.

I've encountered a lot of confusion about Regional vs National licensing over the years. You can compete in a Regional only class and hold a National license. It's based on the number of races a driver competes in, not the class they are in

One of the more, um, memorable remarks I ran across was from an open wheel driver who was moaning about the IT people because they were "all regional drivers", so therefore they were "inferior" to the National drivers in open wheel classes.

I won't reprint my response to that here....
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"