Thread: Miata 1.6 Torsen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

as the 90-93 diff housings become more difficult to come by, a la 12A parts, it would seem to be a viable alternative.

Any other 1.6ers have an opinion or suggestion?
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata
    Matthew 19:26

I think all this talk about free diffs might be misleading. The guts are free, but I don't think the housing is. Put whatever you want inside the 1.6 housing, but don't substitute the 1.8 housing.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Correct, Diff guts are free, casings are not. And obviously, axles and driveshafts are not open.

If there is a pinion strength issue, work to correct that, maybe even while trying a new FD.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

What about running at 1.8L weight?

Bottom line, I don't have the engineering expertise or $$ to reinvent the 1.6L viscous LSD to make it as bullet proof as the torsen.

A driver in a 1.8 that I beat in the Saturday race ran into me twice entering T11 at CMP on consecutive laps in morning warm-up. No one called him on it and were it not for the torsen my weekend would have probably been over.(sorry, no refund, you turned a wheel). I know we are now getting lower insurance due to our "no metal to metal" rule but, that doesn't fix my diff.
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata

There are Comp diffs available that fit in the 1.6 housing. call Mazda

Same with the power steering rack, it can not be de-powered, it must be a manual rack.
    $560 new from Mazda, good luck finding a used one!
    Jerry
    NER South

When I was running my 1.6 I found that if you have the R&P cryoed and REM polished (legal, R&P are open, and "If it says you can you bloody well can") and changed the fluid EVERY. SINGLE. WEEKEND. I could get 2-3 years (15ish events) between breakages...

AND once I started having the R&Ps cryo/REMed BOTH times I broke one it was obvious abuse" jumping the everliving crap out of the turn 3 curb at Road Atlanta WFO chasing Tom Long, right after my wife spun the car in a huge way while staying on the gas.
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    ...manual rack...good luck finding a used one!

no idea if these are correct or not, but you might check out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271172360249

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110991139769

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330859518930 (2 available)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221194176469 (sold)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200885262913 (sold)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181097277080 (sold)

I love eBay

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

thanks for the cryo and manual rack info.

Luckily I've got a manual rack in my daily driver. Not sure what I'm gonna do about the diff since my local competition is OK with it.

I'll probably approach TPTB to get a waiver, even if it fails I know it won't be done if I don't try(yes, I can relate to RP McMurphey) so if any other 1.6 drivers want to join me in the effort I'd love to have your support.
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Mseiler View Post
    drive shaft & drive axles.

I thought they were free as well but, I have a competitor that insists that's NOT the case, since the 1.6 only came with viscous and the torsen started in 94 with the 1.8
    I don't know why you would think that they are free. Where in the rule book do you see ANY mention that would suggest that???

Quote Originally Posted by Mseiler View Post
    as the 90-93 diff housings become more difficult to come by, a la 12A parts, it would seem to be a viable alternative.

Any other 1.6ers have an opinion or suggestion?
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you regarding the 12A parts. No allowance has (nor should be) made for vanishing 12A parts. There is no precedence there.
    The viable alternative in this case exists in strengthening the parts or getting the performance part from Mazda.
    I understand the budget issue, but sometimes a racing budget isn't spent on actual racing, greater proportions need to be diverted from the travel/entry side to the prep side that will enable more racing in the future.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The cost, nearly double, of building a 1.6 vs. the cost of a used torsen, is not to my liking but, not insurmountable. However, in talking to Mazdaspeed they told me they have no 1.6 ring & pinions and aren't sure when they'll have them. "It could take a while" was the casual estimate they gave me.

As far as rules go, I have this bad habit of trusting those who have been at this longer than I to be telling me accurate info. When I'm under the car in the paddock swapping a broken viscous diff for a spare open to make the race that afternoon and someone I know tells me to get a torsen...well, my fault I guess.

From a technical standpoint this is an easy fix. The problem, admittedly personal, is that I love running the Carolina Cup Pro Series 45 minute races with my son, we do a driver change in the 2 minute pit stop. right now we're "competitive"(someone has to finish 2nd or lower) in a class that draws as many as 9 cars in race. By going STL/STU we'd have to petition to allow that class in the series(probably easier than getting Mt. Olympus to allow the torsen) but, then we'd be in a class with far fewer participants.

It will all work out...for me(us) it's not about winning it's about having fun...this part isn't fun.
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata

Understood. Get a rulebook and figure out what to do. Going to your locals and asking about the Torsen may be the right thing for you for now.

Understand that with a Miata, MANY people think that SM allowances cross right over to IT. That is the I am sure why you got that 'advice'.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967