Thread: Miata 1.6 Torsen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Miata 1.6 Torsen

After a season and a half in ITA and two blown viscous diffs, I put a torsen in my 1.6 Miata last summer. I've now been told "I won't protest you but, you're illegal". This past weekend I would have had to replace another diff thanks to the thumps in the rear during qualifying were it not for the torsen.

Is there any support from the 1.6 drivers or objections from 1.8 drivers to seeking to allow the torsen in the 1.6?

I did not change the lsd to get an advantage other than durability and I don't see any improved performance.

I'd like to hear some thoughts before seeking to gain this exemption.

Thanks.
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata
    Matthew 19:26

Diffs are free in IT. Did you have to change something else to make it fit?

- GA

drive shaft & drive axles.

I thought they were free as well but, I have a competitor that insists that's NOT the case, since the 1.6 only came with viscous and the torsen started in 94 with the 1.8
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Mseiler View Post
    drive shaft & drive axles.
    Yeah, that would make it technically non-compliant to the IT regs. Diffs are "free" as long as you don't have to make mods to anything else to make it fit.

Doesn't hurt to ask, but I think that was actually requested in the past and denied. It's not really a decision made through approval of your peers/competitors*, it's a decision to be made by the CRB in regard to the base IT philosophy.

- GA

* One can, effectively, gain "approval" from peers through a nudge-nudge-wink-wink-we-won't-protest-you kinda local deal, but if only a single person chooses not to accept that "gentleman's agreement" you will lose the protest and appeal.

My goal is to see if I'm the only one that would like to see it allowed and find out if there are any absolute objections out there among the ITA herd. And, if so, why.
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata

Locally, you probably won't have a problem as long as you talk to your competitors and get their 'wink' like Greg said.. As far as getting the rule changed Nationally, I am sure you aren't going to get anywhere. Rule suggestions based on 'reliability' are not usually (can't think of any) something the ITAC/CRB approves.

Get creative. What can you do INSIDE the case to strengthen up your unit? Have you talked with some of the top Miata prep shops in SEDIV?

Are you running Mazdacomp version of the viscous or straight stock?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Maybe the issue can be solved with a new decal?

How far away from SM are you? The 94 and up torsen that Fixes the pinion problem, is an approved mod to a 90-93 SM. Along with axles and drive shaft.

What makes it an ITA car and how hard is it to get back to SM really. Springs, shocks, sway bars. If the motor needs freshening, buy a different block form the salvage yard and dont go 040 over with it. This is a LOT easier then converting to a 1.8 car.
    It sounds as though your not at the sharpest edge of the rules for IT yet, and just want to drive the car together.

If your in a class with 9 cars at most, there are most likly more SM cars than that. Maybe the competition will also up your own driving game as well.

Good luck,
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

SM is one thing I've thought about, it would mean intake, exhaust and replacing the bushings I put in over the winter(DOH!) when I put an SM suspension on.

This car has been a project for 9+ years. I bought it by the side of the road and used it as my daily driver for several years working my way up from Autocross to Time Trials/Hill Climbs and now road racing. I had to take classes at the local community college to learn how to work on it...still learning. It's as much about the journey as it is getting a trophy. Those are nice but, just racing a car I pretty much built myself is a greater reward in this life where I'm just passing through anyway.
    SEDiv CCR
    ITA92 Miata

SM always has some good racing from all ends of the pack. Some very good, some not so much.

Great to hear of you racing with your kid.

Do whatever it takes to enjoy these times. Cux you cant buy this time back later.

If your competitors have issues with you running a heavier, slower diff, than withdraw your finish. IE if you take a podium, ask the next racer if he wants your trophy, and have a beer and go home. IMHO.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post

If your competitors have issues with you running a heavier, slower diff, than withdraw your finish. IE if you take a podium, ask the next racer if he wants your trophy, and have a beer and go home. IMHO.
    MM
    At the risk of giving you fuel....

That's all roses and puppies until "the" random third thing that Tech checks that weekend is the differential, and he gets popped for having a non-compliant diff in the car and has automatic points assigned to his license.

(I've seen this with my own eyes.)
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

I have seen a lot of tech guys in 30yrs. Never have I met one that would assign points for a slower part. I cant remember ever having points assigned for missing headlights, washer bottles, welded shifter bushings,etc .Just doesnt happen .
    The tech may say to "please correct this for next race ."

Really have never seen much looked at regional level. Plates and weight is about it. NASA has looked at exhaust manifolds on the SM . But not SCCA.

The fellow racers are people that you have to please. We ultimately enforce the rules that affect us.
    This is a club or pretty nice and reasonable people overall. Just dont be 10# underweight..
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/