Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake pads... what are you using :)

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think this will be helpful if newbies are checking it out. I also found it helpful to see what everyone was running and get a few ideas!

Stephen

I ran Raybestos ST-43 from Porterfield on my IT7. Only one race on them (ARRC 3 hour) but they never faded or caused any issues. The rest of the car had some issues but the brakes were fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Carbotech XP12/10 F/R.

I'm trying to go fast: I don't give a s**t about what they do to my rotors. Don't even really pay attention; just replace them when needed. Don't pay attention to how long they last; just replace them when needed.

I just shut up and drive.

- GA
    AMEN BROTHER!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Hawk DTC-70 front, HT-10 rear.

Last year I ran 10 SCCA weekends, ran every lap of every session. Probably a chunk of local races, DEs, and track days too.

I've had the same pads on the car for ~2yrs and still have 40% left. rotors are about 5 yrs old and still have tons of meat left, but they're beginning to get big enough cracks that I'm considering it might be time to replace them. (I've been hauling spares in the trailer for two years waiting for these to die.)

Considering that I've gotten probably 300hrs off an $85 rotor and roughly 60hrs on a set of pads, I'm not upset at all....
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 03-05-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

As a Distributor for Carbotech I like their stuff.

I build race cars though, so I have learned to help supply people with what works best for their car and driving habits.

Carbotech brakes work the best as I have found with many of the modern ABS systems.
    Last edited by Rabbit07; 03-07-2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Greg scoffs at worrying about rotor wear, but his rotors are cheap and don't require pressing bearing races and all new bearings at every rotor swap, like my car does. And my rotors are getting to be tough to find, and pricey. ($70 each, plus bearings plus pressing, etc).

Like Greg, I run the Carbotechs, after being frustrated by Hawks.
    And they are better in every way EXCEPT they chew up and spit out rotors too quickly, compared to hawks.
    But, I wanted to go fast, so I bit the bullet.
    With the need for proper bedding, disc and bearing swapping, and limited track time, I didn't test other pad compounds or makes.

This on an IT7 with pretty small front discs that are hard pressed to cope with the speeds.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

SSM Miata, 2275 lbs., primary track is Summit.

1. Currently on Carbotech 8/10 combination that is popular for these cars. I love how progressively they bite. Relatively easy on rotors, but like tGA, I just want to go fast and replace as needed.

In the past I've tried:

2. Hawk blacks and blues. Very digital in feel, they're either off or all in. Brutal on rotors.

3. PFC77 as recommended by a Known Fast Guy (Bowie). Hated 'em. Never liked the amount of initial bite, never felt very strong. Not my preference, though many swear by them.

In the end I just bought yet another set of Carbotechs (I wish OG sold them, because I prefer dealing with Dave to dealing with Saferacer) and I'm trying a set of Centric rotors as recommended by others on the brown board (Amazon Prime rocks). Previously used whatever the cheapest things were from Rock Auto with no problems.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

I use Pagid RS-N on StopTech ST40 calipers and floating rotors.

I used to use PF01 - they were really good, but the Pagid RS pads are a big step up.

Anyone with a 2400Lbs car and 9" rotors f&r that has experienced the Carbotechs????
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665