Thread: ITA CRX SI rear brake shoe choice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bump for front pad recommendations. I used Hawk Blues which I found fine in feel and had great life. Then went to DTC60 and they went to shit halfway through the ARRC, they felt great for like a session and a half. I'll run a half used set of Blues for the ice, but want to try something new for the Spring.

TIA

Will

If you're going to stay w/ Hawk, go with the DTC70. IMHO, they perform almost exactly like the 60's except they don't go away.

A lot of us, however, have moved to Raybestos ST-43's, which are custom cut by Porterfield. They wear like iron, have a large temp range, and you'll never have to worry about bending backing plates, because they're waterjetted from NASCAR pads. Having used them for years on the CRX, that's what I plan on using with the new race car (a '96 Civic EX).
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Thanks a lot Gregg. I'll call Raceshopper to inquire about the ST-43, I'm in no way married to the Hawks. I just want something that'll work and be consistent.

The backing plate was the issue on the DTC60, one pad had a palpable bend to it, like 3/8", and tremendous wear.

You'll find that most race pads, whether it be Hawk, Carbotech, etc use a thinnerbacking plate than OEM.

Because of how the Raybestos pads are cut, the backing plates are much thicker than what Honda ships their pads on.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

I have a set of DTC60s that have a lot of stopping power. I haven't experienced the fade as mentioned, but I have bent the backing plates on three different sets of Hawk pads(they came with the car). I'm thinking about looking into those Raybestos pads on my next change.
    Kyle C
    #69 ITA Honda CRX
    Glen Region Timing & Scoring Chief

Quote Originally Posted by webhound View Post
    Thanks a lot Gregg. I'll call Raceshopper to inquire about the ST-43...
    BTW--I'm pretty sure the only place you're going to be able to get them is Porterfield.

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/
    Gregg Ginsberg
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

+ 1 on the ST-43's up front. Most expensive pads I have bought but best value on a $ per race basis.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL