Thread: Race tires from WalMart. Yes I said WalMart

Default Race tires from WalMart. Yes I said WalMart

The rampant increase in IT7 cars has depleted the supply of our tires. So a suitable replacement was searched out. Quite frankly we didnt need a suitable replacement, we needed what we are all running already. Lots of searching and swearing about costs and shipping etc...

Fast forward to the really stupid part. I just ordered my RACE tires from the Mart. That is a correct statement. Walmart sells the Nitto NT-01, the Gentelmans Agreed on Tire for NARRC/NERRC IT7, for approx 15 bucks less than any other retailer. And its FREE shipping to the store of you choice. We all live near a Walmart.

Race weekend now goes like Pack up, drive to the track, find the nearest store, Concord for NHMS, Pick up Beer Chips and Tires for the weekend and move on to the track.

If you stop at the super center at exit 10 on 93, they will mount and balance for free with the correct coupon. It 11.00 each other wise.

How much easier can it get? It's just fun to say we got our tires at WalMart.

Cheap Ass Dan, 77 IT7
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

That's a beautiful thing.

I hate Wal-mart a little less now.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    But how do you feel about cheap-ass Dan?
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    I know huh. I hate that store as well.

They suck a little less now.

Eds known me to long to have a biased opinion, isnt that right Dr Funk.

Dan 77 IT7
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

it7racing.com

Huh? Sorry, I was napping.
    Dan's a wonderful guy, you oughta see him pedal a diesel Rabbit!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Matt Graham (co-drove at the Nelson 24 with us) told me a story he learned from a relative (father, maybe?) who worked for a tire manufacturer...

Apparently, after they run their QA tests (spin balance, dimensional testing) they put their stuff in three piles. The really good (e.g., round) tires go to the brand "factory stores." The next-best pile (or first seconds) go to the big retailers. The square, wobbly shit goes to the budget retailers - Wallyworld in particular.

I've talked to more than one person who bought an OE-equivalent tire from the cheap-o outlets and - literally - couldn't get it dynamically balanced. Caveat emptor.

K

Didn't you know, rotarys run better with "wobbly shit".

Sweet job Cheap-Ass-Dan! Now work on getting them to carry slicks.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

You need to wear your suit & helmet when you go it to get them, see if you can make onto peopleofwalmart.com.

Dick Harding said you need money, time and resourcefulness to be successful at racing. But as long as you have a lot of one, you can cut corners on one of the other two.

You cut corners on the first by spending more of the second two items. Nice work.

Maybe the IT guys can give Dan a couple xtra bucks for him to get theirs "while he's there" (cuz it's so easy, right?) therefor avoiding all the communicable diseases running rampant through the place! Not to mention puking a little in the mouth at the sight of the 300 pounders with thongs hanging out their pants....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Tires arrived 5 days early,have current dates and are round.

Tire guy will mount them for free, and get rid of the scraps

Have to deal with customer service to get them, but thats just learning the system. Go to guy 1 then 2 then 3. Guy 3 is the hard part cause he wants to talk about the race tires from walmart for his Civic 16bet something something. Be nice to guy three, he runs the tire machine.

Savings is roughly 45 per tire or almost 200 per set after you deduct 15 bucks from cost per tire,shipping, mount and balance and disposal cost.

But you need to go to WalMart, so it evens out I guess.

Dan, 77 IT7

it7racing.com

The only problem is that Wal-Mart tends to bend about 20% of my wheels.
    So I have to buy 5 tires and risk throwing one wheel away every time I have tires mounted there.

with -3.5 to -4 camber, those tiny bends on the inside become a tie-rod-bending vibration at 120mph. I now have a stack of about 8 wheels in the barn that have bends on the inside lip..

I've since decided to pay a couple bucks more and have all my tire work done at NTB at $20/tire.

Maybe your Wal-Marts are different, but that's what I've run into in Souf Tejas. Just beware if you ever decide try this approach near MSR Houston.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7