Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watkins Glen Hotel Recommendation

Default Watkins Glen Hotel Recommendation

Going to race in the Major at Watkins Glen in July. Can anyone recommend a reasonable and decent hotel in Watkins Glen?
    Thanks
    JR

I've stayed at the Seneca Clipper Inn quite a few times and it's been good.

Seneca Lodge is the "classic". Rooms are 'vintage'. But the bar is road racing history.

Also pretty historical (Lots of F1 pictures etc) is the Glen Motor Inn. Nice owners, but again, pretty dated. (the bar is right out of the Brady Bunch) But, awesome views of the lake. And cheap.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Glen Motor Inn...EZ to find, good food....hard to park a truck and trailer.
    Montour Falls, Relax Inn...cheap, clean, small, small parking area.
    Inn at the Falls, beautiful B&B, beautiful view of falls right outside your
    window. Minimal parking.

Best bet for almost all is drop your trailer at the track before checking in, because most have minimal or difficult to access parking.

Eat at the Seneca lodge....don't stay there...rooms are a bad joke!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Within a 20 mile radius of WGI, there are 22 hotels listed, including Hampton Inns,Best Westerns, Courtyard Marriots(sp),ad naseaum.......Obviously some will have room to park a trailer but as Ed says....leave it at the track. Ithaca appears to have some good choices with the school being there.

Whatever you choose, book it now.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Quote Originally Posted by StephF View Post
    Whatever you choose, book it now.
    Bunch of hotels in Elmir/Corning, too,....but I know you and Ed like to stay in Horseheads........LOL

Apart from a few hotels, they're all bed/breakfasts. I literally look at the google maps of downtown WGI and call the different places that are noted. I don't recommend the Motor Inn.

I can't remember the name, but there's a small place with individual cabins that is just past the motor inn. Theyre rather new and are right on the lake, not that you are ever really there during daylight hours anyways. I DO recommend that place. The only drawback is that our room had only a space heater for heat. That was a little cold in October.

Most of the motels in the village of watkins glen are overpriced dumps with a minimum stay. Try corning or horseheads just minutes away and you wont pay (race weekend rates). There's a few very good eating establishments also if your into that.

Thanks everyone for the info!
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    Eat at the Seneca lodge....don't stay there...rooms are a bad joke!
    You're soft, Ed. Nothing like sitting out on the deck drinking some JD and enjoying the conversation of fellow racers. And you're 10 minutes from the track. No concierge to call, but that place has character and I like it. And the barkeep brews his own beer!

Now, if you ever decide to stay at the Glen Motor Inn, don't get talked into the "Gorgeous View" across the highway from there (they own it, and that's their overflow). That's pretty much Americana "motel" and all that that implies (no phones, and the steps for "in case of fire" start with "1: evacuate room into parking lot; 2: knock on doors of other guests to let them know". And bring your can of WD-40 with you into the room to grease up the squirrel cage bearings in the window A/C...)

- GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    You're soft, Ed. Nothing like sitting out on the deck drinking some JD and enjoying the conversation of fellow racers. And you're 10 minutes from the track. No concierge to call, but that place has character and I like it. And the barkeep brews his own beer!

Now, if you ever decide to stay at the Glen Motor Inn, don't get talked into the "Gorgeous View" across the highway from there (they own it, and that's their overflow). That's pretty much Americana "motel" and all that that implies (no phones, and the steps for "in case of fire" start with "1: evacuate room into parking lot; 2: knock on doors of other guests to let them know". And bring your can of WD-40 with you into the room to grease up the squirrel cage bearings in the window A/C...)

- GA
    Greg enjoys the Bates Motel concept.....LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by greg amy View Post
    you're soft, ed.

Not if i take the right meds.

Seneca lodge has two room "suites". The master bedroom has a double bed....you can keep your knees against the bed, and your butt against the wall...all the way around. The second room is also a sleeping area....if you brought your sleeping bag and like sleeping in a sitting position.

Now, if you ever decide to stay at the glen motor inn, don't get talked into the "gorgeous view" across the highway from there (they own it, and that's their overflow). That's pretty much americana "motel" and all that that implies (no phones, and the steps for "in case of fire" start with "1: Evacuate room into parking lot; 2: Knock on doors of other guests to let them know". And bring your can of wd-40 with you into the room to grease up the squirrel cage bearings in the window a/c...)

concur, their main rooms are about as "quaint".

- ga
    Ed Funk

I prefer to camp, personally. All you really need is a shower, and the showers at The Glen are plenty nice enough.

Thought they didn't have showers at The Glen?

Quote Originally Posted by jrem72 View Post
    Thought they didn't have showers at The Glen?
    Now 2 sets
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Nice, in that case camping is an option.

Sheesh, tough crowd here. I stayed at the Glen Motor Inn last year and found it perfectly decent.

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Nothing like sitting out on the deck drinking some JD and enjoying the conversation of fellow racers. And you're 10 minutes from the track. No concierge to call, but that place has character and I like it. And the barkeep brews his own beer!
    I'm with Greg (except for Ed being soft....can't comment on that). I love the Seneca Lodge. It isn't very fancy, but it gets the job done. If you drink enough at the bar, the room doesn't matter anyway.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

Only drink non-alcohol beer....less than 0.5% alcohol. Have to drink a truck load to stay there!
    Ed Funk