Thread: The Real STU (Super Turbo Über) Bitch thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Nah, I'm immune to the bitching now...I say let 'em vent. - GA
    Thank you...

I started the other thread just to see if there was a way to even get close to the output. To see what I possibly could do to at least get in the ball park, not to complain. Because of the delay in response, and other comments it just degenerated. The final straw was when someone else ninja edited my thread title.

So, what's next?

Turbo diesel... Torque FTW.

K

Sorry, you mean Kia Optima oil burner. Might as well be new enough that you get some Mfg kick-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    So, what's next?
    We keep chipping away. As I recall, we've reduced the TIRs since the Runoffs (did we also do weight?) and we even reduced further the Miata TIR. But if you guys think we're going to be doing some "Hail-Mary-adding-tons-of-weight" kinda deals you're going to be disappointed. We'll chip away at it until we get it.

While we'll continue moving forward (don't think we're not paying attention) I do have to confess that I'm getting the distinct impression that NA guys will never be happy until a turbo car never wins another race or sets another lap record...

In the meantime, I feel compelled to note that none of the dissenters have sent in any kind of alternate technical proposals. None. Closest I recall was a general "slow down the turbo cars" letter. If you've got some really cool solutions then feel free to propose them. Nothing proposed here on this forum can reasonably be expected to hit our committee's (or the CRB's) agenda. Formally-submitted letters are guaranteed to.

- GA

No, I'll be happy when the turbo cars have to really race a N/A cars for the checker, not to keep from going a lap down.

Hmmm. I seem to remember lapping a few cars in sprint races in the past couple years that were not only in the same class, but were also the same make and model as mine.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Hmmm. I seem to remember lapping a few cars in sprint races in the past couple years that were not only in the same class, but were also the same make and model as mine.

K
    Well put sir
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post

K
    I'm sorry, did you think I was talking about my car??? I'm not talking about someone running months old tires on their 14-34 heat cycle. I'm talking about someone who can afford new tires for each day. Someone who built their motor for the class, not sourced another motor from the salvage yard and added an aluminum single mass flywheel.

Ultimatly, the real answer is to seperate the turbo and n/a cars into their own classes. As it seems to be impossible to either slow or police the turbo cars.

Ultimatly, the real answer is to seperate the turbo and n/a cars into their own classes.
    It's an idea I've bantered about within the committee, especially now that we've lost STO. But I suggest that's a long-term idea, given 1) most people oppose new classes and 2) it's a rule change, so won't happen 'til 2014 at the soonest, and 3) how you you reconcile creating a new class and making it immediately National? Otherwise you'd be pulling the turbo cars out of the National (Majors) racing program. And 4) it would significantly degrade the STU participation numbers, potentially placing the current STU in a status of possible losing National (Majors) status.

Not a terrible idea, but not a short-term solution.

- GA

I'm sorry, did you think I was talking about my car??? I'm not talking about someone running months old tires on their 14-34 heat cycle. I'm talking about someone who can afford new tires for each day. Someone who built their motor for the class, not sourced another motor from the salvage yard and added an aluminum single mass flywheel.

Ultimatly, the real answer is to seperate the turbo and n/a cars into their own classes. As it seems to be impossible to either slow or police the turbo cars.
    I'm talking about ANY cars in ANY class. On-track observations and comparisons of lap times simply can't accommodate all of the variables involved.

That said, handicapping NA and turbo cars has always been tough.

K

Combustion pressure makes torque. Airflow and fuel make HP.
    The Turbo cars may make over 2X the torque of the NA cars. A well designed turbo car is entirely different than the NA car. Max downforce over drive tires, BA drive tires, Taller gear for longer pulls in the torque range,etc.
    My Turbo car makes around 230# torque, 177HP @ 11# boost.
    The NA car makes 120#, 118Hp.

Regulating the TIR will not control the chamber pressure, only regulating the boost value will.
    Regulate the Boost. There are some very good programs/equations to show power level vs boost.
    I dont think that there are any estimation programs that involve the TIR. Due to the fact that the TIR is pressure sensitive and a constant variable .
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/