Thread: Endurance Headlights... We want to experience night racing with daytime conditions!

Default Endurance Headlights... We want to experience night racing with daytime conditions!

The Devil in the Dark will be our first "night" experience and we are wondering what lights other teams add/use?

Also, does anyone purchase "light pods" for the hood? I am considering buying or making one (what I have found seems expensive).

Thanks for the advice!

Raymond Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    #50 Mazda RX8
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Pablo I had a traditional rally pod with 4 1000w Hellas.

It pretty much set the standard at the first VIR 13 we did. It also cost us something 5+ mph at the end of each straight.

Pablo II had killer Xenon bits, also from Hella, that integrated HID bulbs into European headlight housings, plus HID spots...

Actually two on each side once we were done.

They were killer, used less electricity, and worked great. They were also hella expensive when they got squished (see the photo above, after I had a Miata juke right in front of me coming out of Oak Tree, running 20mph off the pace and trying to run away from other cars.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    It also cost us something 5+ mph at the end of each straight.
    Yeah, but, it EASILY made up the difference in lap time just with improved driver confidence. Let's not forget I typically set my fastest times of the whole event with those things...at night.

- GA

13-14 years ago we ran three auxiliary PIAA lights on a fabricated bracket. The whole thing could be mounted in about 20 seconds, didn't restrict opening the hood....worked well. The center was a pencil beam aimed straight ahead, the outside ones were fogs aimed out a bit and down a bit to help see the apex. Can't remember the wattage, but they were big rectangular things (4x8 inches?). The quad headlights were all replaced with high output euro type high beams that also shed some candle power on the subject. Prolly had more HP going to the alternator than the wheels! One of our drivers also set his best times at night....but he said it was because he couldn't see the scary stuff!

Stephen, if you want to borrow that mount and PIAAs, I can probably find where it is stored...could bring to the meeting next week, unless Stephanie has had the baby or you're on "baby watch".
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Huh! Thunderbolt after dark?!?!! Hell, there are apexes there that I can't find at high noon on a cloudless August day! GOOD LUCK!
    Ed Funk

You need one good straight ahead light . But more ,you need to see the apexes.
    I run my right turn apex lights @ around 35degrees. My LS apex light is set to see the fastest left turn apex.
    http://www.ogren-engineering.com/racing.html
    Michael has a pic of the Chumps @ Sebring. Note the turn lights. These cars all have run 6-10 night races. And have it figured out pretty well.
    The Probe with no lights is Bill Rileys car. Yeah,Bill Riley and his shop guys, come to kick our asses.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

After 15 years of poor trials, many combinations and lousy vision, we went with HIDs. And the Lord said "Let there be light!". And the accountant said "Ouch!".
    The last 5 years have been great. Also what Lizard said; put on some 35 degree cornering lights crossing each other and aimed at the apexes (you kinda need to see them).
    Chuck

Restrictions are usually "No lights higher than the top of the dashboard"....but height usually helps. "As far back as possible" important too, as "bump-drafting" (or its evil twin "incidental contact") with a $500+ set of lights is sub-obtimal.

Consider "easily removable", too. No point crashing a $500+ set of lights at 1pm. But people do it anyway. We always had a quick disconnect light bar...we saved a lot of headaches and $$$ with that bar.

Greenshot_2013-01-31_13-14-15.jpg
    E3 winner at last years 12hr got new lights for VIR 13hr drivers said they were amazing. Call the guys at www.mainlineoverland.com and we can get them a killer setup!
    Wes
    29 ITS

ummmm $1600 for that light on the hood... I just woke up my wife as I screamed!
    I was pretty excited till I visited the website and saw the costs! Out of my price range for sure!

Stephen

Which car are you running? Our light bar could be modded to work on the Audi. Or use our lights on your own mount if you're running the Mazda. Either way, you're welcome to 'em for free.
    Ed Funk

Thanks Ed! We are running the Mazda. We figure it will be more exciting for the crew since we will need to stop so often for gas!

We are just a few checks away from a driver line-up to be announced soon One of our drivers "may" have some to use for the event, if not I will definetly be reaching out to you.

Stephen

Stephen

We run two of these on the Kubota for nightime snowblowing, one forward, one backward
    HID, only 35W, UNBELIEVABLY bright, 12V, relatively cheap
    You can come see them if you like, we are only a few minutes away in Weare

. We use 35W FULL FLOOD (very wide throw) only $71 each

. https://www.quantilutions.com/catalog/product/29/

. Here it is with a 55W SPOT (long throw) lens for $82

. https://www.quantilutions.com/catalog/product/33/

. here they have a variety of different wattages, cases, and lenses (FullFlood, Flood, Spot, etc)

. https://www.quantilutions.com/catalog/category/58/

I'm guessing a killer setup would be a angled 5 light bar combination of Flood, Spot, Spot, Spot, Flood

best!
    Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lawtonglenn; 02-01-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    ummmm $1600 for that light on the hood... I just woke up my wife as I screamed!
    I was pretty excited till I visited the website and saw the costs! Out of my price range for sure!

Stephen
    the light on the site is a much larger version than the one we ran on the hood. (close to half the price) but yeah i understand its $$$. Just giving you options.

Wes
    Wes
    29 ITS

Raymond - PM sent, I have a couple of sets of lights I can show you.

Matt