Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MKII Front Spindles Discontinued

That's half the fun of running an IT relic---part searching.

Those parts are out there.

Refresh my memory. Are we talking about the bearing/hub carrier that the strut/ball joint/tie rod/brake caliper bolt to? If so - there are SOOOOO many cars with these out there that I would not expect a legitimate supply issue for racers for about 10 years.

If we are talking about the hubs, I would be shocked if there were not a source, as there are still a ton of these cars on the road as well.

I get moving an A2 out of IT racing because it has been shafted by inconsistent application of power gain assumptions and thus weight of cars in B, but not because of parts availability.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Most Mk 2 were scrapped in the last 2 yrs. They dont pay to keep . VW people are cheap or buy new ones.
    The current hubs can be made everywhere.

The later 88( 72/40) and up bearings last about 20hrs. The early ,smaller ones maybe 10hr. 66/35
    The Mk 3 hubs, I show to be the same size as the Mk2+.
    (72/40)
    The Chinese hubs seem OK at the larger size. Not for Mk 1 tho. ( 64/34)

I am pretty sure that the Mk 2(66/35) small bearing can get stuffed into the Mk 1 carrier with some machine love.

The only reason to use the Mk 3 stuff is the larger brakes. as the hubs/bearing are the same,IMHO

The forged carriers dont really go bad IMHO. They will take about 8-10 bearing swaps and still have some squeeze. Red loctite keeps them snug . They can get bent steering arms in a shunt and bent in the upper strut mount area,requiring more slots.

I have never seen, nor heard of, a carrier broken, just bent.
    The hubs all will break eventually at race loads with big stickys.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/