Thread: MKII Front Spindles Discontinued

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MKII Front Spindles Discontinued

What do people do when VW informs you that they are no longer making replacement MKII front spindles. For everyone out there with MKII race cars, what does this mean?

Brian
    Vantage Motorsports

Hubs or spindles? both?
    Mk 3 will work but the bearing is larger and cheaper.
    As are the brakes.
    The spindle may work, but I have not checked to see if the 9.4 brakes fit the K 3 spindle.

I saw someplace the new IT rules ,allowed the Mk 3 brakes for the Mk 2. But I have no idea why.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Thanks for the reply, I had a quick look through the February rules and didn't see anything jump out at me saying I could run MKIII spindles. Do you have a link by any chance?

To answer your other question, it is only the steering spindles that we were informed of being discontinued. The hubs and bearings are still available.

Brian
    Vantage Motorsports

Using Mk3 spindles on a Mk2 is not compliant to the IT regs.

There have been several vehicles in the past that were no longer run in IT due to parts availability issues. Coming immediately to mind are rear brake drums from the Mazda RX-3 and one of the Datsun Z-cars? The CRB and the IT community have pretty much decided that you're pretty much SOL as parts as "NLA" parts go. It goes to the "warts and all" side of the philosophy.

However, I suggest that VW made enough of these cars over the years that salvage yards can supply what you need. Dave Gran had a hellluva time finding rear hubs for his Honda Prelude, going to great lengths to salvage any and all versions he could find...you can too, I bet.

- GA

Why are the 10in brakes allowed?
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Why are the 10in brakes allowed?
    Who says they are? What car did they come off of? If not a Mk2 Golf, they're not compliant to the IT regs.

- GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Using Mk3 spindles on a Mk2 is not compliant to the IT regs.

There have been several vehicles in the past that were no longer run in IT due to parts availability issues. Coming immediately to mind are rear brake drums from the Mazda RX-3 and one of the Datsun Z-cars? The CRB and the IT community have pretty much decided that you're pretty much SOL as parts as "NLA" parts go. It goes to the "warts and all" side of the philosophy.

However, I suggest that VW made enough of these cars over the years that salvage yards can supply what you need. Dave Gran had a hellluva time finding rear hubs for his Honda Prelude, going to great lengths to salvage any and all versions he could find...you can too, I bet.

- GA
    Same thing for the no longer made rotor housings for the 12A Mazda RX7! Rumor is that Dick P. has built a Cheyenne Mountain type facility stocked with 12A rotor housings......LOL