Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weatherstripping

Default Weatherstripping

Mine's still in the car. As part of the offseason weight reduction plan, I assumed you could take it out and started to, but then checked the rules. Didn't see anything.

THoughts?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I don't think so. I left mine in until it became an STL car.

Mine's in the car too but I have to add over 200lbs in ballast.

Having said that, I like the noise reduction and water seals that come with it. I know you are searching for ounces to turn into pounds but I like it in there.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

that's what it looked like to me.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I read 9f under 9.1.3 saying I can remove them. They weighed nothing but were poorly reinstalled once on my car after a poor removal and were falling off.

Its a cleanliness thing for me. I need plenty of weight. I left the plastic clips incase I get protested.

I believe them to be insulating for the interior trim

Hoo boy. Here we go again...

hahaha

PROTEST ME. (or please don't I'm new to this)

"carpets, center consoles, floor mats, headliners, sun roof liner and frame, dome lights, grab handles, and their insulating , attaching, or operating mechanisms may be removed"

"all other interior trim panels except the dashboard may be removed"

gravity was removing them already. I just helped them along
    Last edited by adamjabaay; 01-06-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjabaay View Post
    hahaha

PROTEST ME
    Ugh, I hate that anti-social attitude. Basically says "I know I'm cheating and I know you're too much of a wuss to protest me, so eff you."

But I could be wrong.

I was completely kidding sir......haha

if ya'll seriously think its a problem I'm 100% heading to a junkyard to properly pull off weatherstrip so it won't be falling off and pinched between the door and rocker making the door tough to open....lol

that really was the reason I yanked it... I thought it was accepted too, from looking at other cars

I bought a car that was a cosmetic mess, and had been driven hard and put away wet. The cage ans drivetrain were all it had going for it. I like decent looking cars and tidy looking stuff, so after updating the cage a bit, I started making it look like less of a circle track throw away and more of a picture worthy car I can be proud of.

building a "rule pusher" isn't my goal at all, in any way
    Last edited by adamjabaay; 01-06-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Ha, don't look at other cars to see what's legal, look at the rulebook and decide for yourself with your reasoning and go from there. Most modifications like this in the paddock are done with 'convenience' and 'it's nothing that makes me go faster' as the 'reason'. Not because anyone actually thinks it's legal.
    Andy Bettencourt

ONe time, in band camp....

back when I ran in ITA, my lil ole RX-7 was getting it's ass whipped by the likes of Blaney and Serra, etc. We had an impound all. I finished a whopping 5th, I think, and it was "hoods up". Tech guy comes over, and tells me the two 6" long rubber seals located at the back corners of my hood were mia and needed replacing before the next race. Easy to do cuz they were in my garage and never got snapped back on in the rush after a full paint job. But that pretty much reinforced for me that all seals must be there.
    I was impressed he even spotted them missing! I figured I fell into the "nobody gives a crap about that car " crowd, LOL.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

awwwwwww MAN.

I can never find time to go to the junkyard. Stupid real life jobs. Haha

thanks Jake

everyone else agree?

Adam,

what are you missing? i might have some stuff on my HF POS i am parting out....
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

The perimeter door weatherstripping and hatch perimeter weatherstripping

FYI.

i am not a big fan of rules that say "etc." (my emphasis.) and then we try discern what that etc means...

from page 113 of 7842 in the 2012 GCR

In Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, and Touring the door window glass, window operating mechanism, inner door trim panel, armrest, map pockets, wiring harnesses for door locks, windows, power mirrors, seat wiring, etc., and inside door latch/lock operating mechanism may be removed and the inner door structural panel may be modified, but not removed only if the door bars extend into the door cavity.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    i am not a big fan of rules that say "etc." (my emphasis.) and then we try discern what that etc means...
    I agree. My preference is to write a rule to say what you mean, then use "e.g." to provide non-limiting examples. "Etc" leaves a big hole to drive through. In this case:

NASCAR-style side protection or one bar bisecting another to form an “X” is permitted. Door side tubes may extend into the front door. To facilitate installation of these door side tubes into the door, Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, and Touring may remove interfering items, e.g., the door window glass, window operating mechanism, inner door trim panel, armrest, map pockets, wiring harnesses for door locks, windows, power mirrors, seat wiring, and inside door latch/lock operating mechanism; the inner door structural panel may be modified, but not removed, only if the door bars extend into the door cavity.

In the real world.. most anything that burns can be removed and pass tech, and fellow racer tech. IMHO.

I left my rubber seals in for the IT cars.

The cage door bar rule is not followed at all either.
    I hammered,slotted,etc the OE inner panels, for years to meet the letter of the rule . Now I just X brace the pas side and toss the inner panel, as does the rest of the world. Time to fix the rule wording .
    IMHO.
    "Nobody" leaves the inner panel in today.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

My bars both extend ALL THE WAY on both sides now, basically touching the factory crush beam in the door. I re installed the outer stripping around the window, i had only removed that "inner" gasket strip. The certainly can burn. Im not likely to win anything anyways so maybe ill leave it. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    In the real world.. most anything that burns can be removed and pass tech, and fellow racer tech. IMHO.

I left my rubber seals in for the IT cars.

The cage door bar rule is not followed at all either.
    I hammered,slotted,etc the OE inner panels, for years to meet the letter of the rule . Now I just X brace the pas side and toss the inner panel, as does the rest of the world. Time to fix the rule wording .
    IMHO.
    "Nobody" leaves the inner panel in today.
    Ah... yeah, let's not generalize. I have the passenger inner panel of my door installed because I have an X bar and decided not to put in an alum metal cover.

Some racers do try to follow the rules with integrity no matter how annoying and even if some others purposefully choose not to.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Ah... yeah, let's not generalize. I have the passenger inner panel of my door installed because I have an X bar and decided not to put in an alum metal cover.

Some racers do try to follow the rules with integrity no matter how annoying and even if some others purposefully choose not to.
    My passenger door has the crank window and OEM door panel. I like it that way.

Andy Bettencourt