How about the concept of a car you can grow with? I envy those who have been able to stay with a chassis from SS to IT to maybe prod. It seems like ST might be a good top rung of the ladder for a number of cars and budgets but very few are competitive on all the steps up that ladder.

Here's the idea: Somewhat competitive in IT or other similar class, engine option to be somewhat competitive in STL, engine option to eventually be somewhat competitive in STU. Should probably be very competitive in one of the three at least. For me it also must be RWD, I am done with FWD, part of why I didn't continue racing with the CRX.

Thoughts so far:

FC RX7, ITS -> 1.8L BP STL -> ?2.3 turbo STL?

- Not sure about the 2.3 but it seems the BP is likely to be as competitive with Honda in STL as any other decently architected DOCH 4 cyl. Wish it could be an FD chassis but there's no entry level class for that car.

Miata, IT/SM -> 1.8L BP STL -> ?2.3 turbo STL?

-Same as RX7

944, ITS/ITR/Spec944 -> ?1.8L VW/Audi? -> 2.5 turbo STL (doesn't seem competitive)

-No good < 2L options unless VW is legit? Seems like a lot of power to look for from the 2.5 turbo motor in the STU configuration. Also, pretty old already.

Solstice, ITS -> ?de-turbo'd LNF? or "Pontiac Vibe" 2ZZ (I think this is illegal) -> LNF w/turbo STU

-This one seems to require the most creative engine work. Not sure what Huffmaster has in the STU car but I can't believe it's just the stock turbo 2L LNF with more boost? For STL the only competitive < 2L 4 cyl from GM only comes with boost so the turbo would have to go and then find out what power it could make.

E30, IT/SpecE30 -> ?1.8L STL? -> 3.2L STU

-No idea how the 1.8 would work. Also, pretty old already.

E36, IT -> ?1.8L STL? -> 3.2L STU

-just meh on the E36. Had one once, didn't get along well.

Toyobaru twins, T? -> STL -> WRX motor STU

-Wow, this seems like the right answer but big $$$. Also, bad reports of subaru track reliability at big STU power levels and/or big Hoosier grip levels.

MR2, ITB -> 2ZZ STL -> ?? STU (there must be something)

-Seems fun but pretty old cars already (thinking first gen)

Fiero, ITA -> ?de-turbo'd LNF? or "Pontiac Vibe" 2ZZ (I think this is illegal) STL -> LNF w/turbo STU

-Same engine issues as solstice and it's getting old.

To complicate things for me, I work for GM and love my job and almost all of our new products. I don't love much prior to 2006 or so and we've never made a good NA <2L 4cyl. I feel like I can get away with anything except probably Toyota. Not like I'd get fired but it feels like it wouldn't be good for my career if I managed to start doing well with a Toyota. (and it's a racing crowd in my building so it's not like I could just keep my mouth shut about it). It's a fascinating class to me for some reason, seems to be just the extra stuff I was frustrated I couldn't do to the CRX. However, I know that it was 5 years of racing before I was ready to start moving past IT prep with that car.

Alex