Thread: ITS e36 BMW

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yeah, I've often thought that it's pretty aggressively classed versus some of the other stuff in ITR... it weighs only 5# more than the FWD Acura TSX. As much of a Honda fanboi as I can be, I know which one of the two that I'd pick (and it wouldn't have a stylized "A" on the nose).
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Anybody know why it wasn't classed at "what we know" rwhp in ITR?

I do not.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Anybody know why it wasn't classed at "what we know" rwhp in ITR?

I do not.
    WAG? So that the E36 owners weren't pissed off... again.

Edit:
    Wasn't Giles involved in some of the ITR stuff way back when?
    Last edited by Xian; 01-16-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post

Edit:
    Wasn't Giles involved in some of the ITR stuff way back when?
    I forget who exactly was on the ITR 'committee'. I know it was Kirk, myself, Jake, Jeff Young, Ron Erp, George Roffe, Andy Bettencourt, and I think Greg Amy. Beyond that, I can't recall.

I am not worried about telling our numbers. Dan Jones car (ITR spec e36 with a handful of lap records) BEST ever was 208 rwhp with aftermarket ecu and single vanos. Again dynos DO vary. Doc is a touch lower due to exhaust system. NO bullshit. 220 P.S. Gregs e46 is nice Chuck...
    I like to cut my butter with a chainsaw, why do you ask?
    Jim Locke
    Preps, ITS, ITR, SM, Vintage stuff, Land speed stuff, ST, Drag race stuff. Ya know race stuff!

Dynos vary, and so do the quality of engine bills. Emoticon all you want, but you just had one of Sunbelt's engine builders post here saying 215 was average and 227 best.

Christian, ITR essentially came about this way. Folks had talked about a class above ITS, but more because of the Z32 300zx than anything, which the CRB/ITAC had refused to class.

But that was mostly talk. The guy who actually got things going was Ron. Over Christmas in 2006 I think, he put together a spreadsheet with the first listing of ITR cars, and then I added some and also wrote the ITR proposal doc.

At that point, someone decided that an ad hoc committee on this board would be a good idea, so we on our own put one together. I think Bill's list above is correct on members, although Scott was on it too.

Best committee I've ever been on. We motored through the list, made some decisions on various cars and got the shit done. Sent it in to the ITAC, and then the CRB/Bod and approved.

The only hitch was the process was in its infancy and the way final weights were set - including the E36 -- was inconsistent and never clear to me (I was not on the iTAC at the time).
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Well knowing what my car makes HP wise, and reading the numbers here for the E36, there needs to be a shit-metric-ton of weight put on that car, or weight taken off mine.

But since there are not a lot of places to take weight off of mine, throw some lead at that thing.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Dynos vary, and so do the quality of engine bills. Emoticon all you want, but you just had one of Sunbelt's engine builders post here saying 215 was average and 227 best.

Christian, ITR essentially came about this way. Folks had talked about a class above ITS, but more because of the Z32 300zx than anything, which the CRB/ITAC had refused to class.

But that was mostly talk. The guy who actually got things going was Ron. Over Christmas in 2006 I think, he put together a spreadsheet with the first listing of ITR cars, and then I added some and also wrote the ITR proposal doc.

At that point, someone decided that an ad hoc committee on this board would be a good idea, so we on our own put one together. I think Bill's list above is correct on members, although Scott was on it too.

Best committee I've ever been on. We motored through the list, made some decisions on various cars and got the shit done. Sent it in to the ITAC, and then the CRB/Bod and approved.

The only hitch was the process was in its infancy and the way final weights were set - including the E36 -- was inconsistent and never clear to me (I was not on the iTAC at the time).
    Hard to believe it was that long ago Jeff. I guess that's why I forgot about the Nissan. I think there were some other cars that got turned down because the exceeded the performance envelope of ITS, but I'm not totally sure. Some flavor of the 944 IIRC.

And I agree, it was a great group to work with. For the most part, there was no BS, and we all were on the same page, and just got shit done. I was even more impressed at how fast it got through the system and was approved. I guess we did it right.