Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: February 2013 Fastrack

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miller View Post
    But I'd say that's probably the case w/ mid/tail pack National cars regardless. They're not going to post-race tech, and they're probably not going to the Runoffs, so nobody cares. It's really all about who is running at the pointy end of the field, regardless of where they run. Seriously when was the last time you saw an 8th place finisher protest the 7th place finisher on rules compliance of their car? And I don't think there is the time luxury to tech them for the heck of it.
    Oh I agree completely, I was just trying to clarify what I thought Mike O was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Anti Heat sheeting, shifter bushings,weather rubber, hood fit, door fit, taping the windshield,wiper arms moved or missing, alt working, low flow water pump,.
    Anti heat stuff I see in lots of classes where it doesn't belong, but yea, it's a "who cares" deal.
    shifter bushings? Now, those are there for a reason.
    weather rubber. Could go either way...innocent lapse due to unavailability or an aero trick?
    taping the windshield, again, sloppy workmanship and lazy? or aero tweak?
    Ditto the wiper arms...
    alt working...perf advantage.
    low flow water pump...same.

the last two are either borderline or clear malicious cheats.

I was bothered at the ARRC one year, as I sat in impound tearing down my car. While I'm sure my car might have some minor legal issues and might not be 100% legal, I'm not aware of what they are. The guys in my class were, well, a bit "looser". Heater core and lines? poof! Gone! Along with half the dash, the console attached to it, etc. You can debate those parts because you read the rule differently, but the core, housing and lines?? I mentioned it casually, and the response was, "Why have them, it's never cold here". I said, "I thought they were required?". "Its a race car" was the response. In other words, go bother somebody else, LOL.

Then there is the guys who weld U channel between the front and rear frame rails, for 'convenience'. Uh huh.

then there's the guys who walk me by 5 or more car lengths after I launch off 7 and start to pass them... yet, me and the winner traded spots in the draft on the same straight a couple times....

Stuff like that brings me to a crossroads of what to do. I KNOW the third place guy was WAY fast on the straight. But I've also been told by guys from the area that theres a 'gentlemans agreement" to make a mod that would result in what I saw. Still, he got third, so, he trophied and took the trophy away from the 4th place guy. Of course, I'm a yankee.....Hmmmm.

And that other stuff, pretty blatant.

Now, the one guy who beat me has a clean car, and drives great, and if he's cheating, he's very good at it. I have no reason to even suspect him. And I wasn't 100% on that day, so he deserved the win.

Some of you will read this, and think I was a jerk, and should have written paper, but some of you will think I'm a jerk for mentioning anything at all.

In the end, I decided that I was a guest, and the vast majority of the guys were local, and obviously didn't have issues with each other, so I kept my mouth (mostly) shut.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 01-19-2013 at 04:42 AM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

That was my point. As it is now,you all accept some of the little flaws. Racing with friends . Regional.

National , racing with " friends". The rules are much better enforced.
    Just like the 10yrold go kart parents. Nice as can be in the paddock, but my kart was in boxes every mon morning.( one muffler hole failed tech in 60races.)

I really have a hard time with the verification for many of the IT cars. There are very few "cam doctor" sheets, valve spring values, etc for the cars. They are a tech nightmare IMHO.
    I am not sure that the tech guys can do a good job with little actual data.

As the stakes get higher, most of us will use " all tools available " to improve our results.
    Moving IT into the "National" status, will force the IT guys to look harder at the cars.
    Reality is that most of the front runners are legal, in the big picture. The lessers will always look for openings and wil pass on the National level races.
    2014, all races will be the same? Other than Majors.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Ask for a valid reason for denial. Maybe it is a tech issue that could be resolved by collecting data.

What does the ITAC have to say about denial? Is National status the will of the racers?

Maybe it wont matter in 2014 reality. Majors will have the current classes to ruboffs.
    IT will have the current races, to a much better open qualifying ARRC.

Jake, I took my cars to prod for the same reasons.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/