Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Road Course in CT - 2014 - Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by StephF View Post
    Oh, here: I helped you with this one. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=perineum
    Huh. Explains why I was putting that stuff on incorrectly...felt right, though...

Unlike you folks, I'm not that excited about this "track". Lots of constant turns, no long straights? Just looking at the scale of the drawing, with the oval at 5/8-mile; quick estimate puts the track distance at around 1.5 miles... I suspect it's going to be a tight little go-kart track that only something starting with "Miata" will be competitive at; FWD will be the suck. Think Lime Rock Park with the whole track being nothing more than three iterations of T2 through the Esses and not a whole lotta anything else...keep that in mind, all you "we don't want to run the chicanes at LRP!" crowd. Not a very large paddock, either, I suspect 125 entries will get shuffled into the oval, skidpad, and lawn.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more options, but with "new" tracks popping up over the last couple decades such as the revised Watkins Glen, Virginia Int'l Raceway, NJMP, Barber, and so forth, the bar for "good" tracks has been significantly raised; it's going to take a lot more than nostalgia to make this a fun and desirable place to race. Hope I'm off base.

Should be a fun HPDE, autocross, and Solo 1 track, though.

GA
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 01-04-2013 at 05:21 PM.

It will all be about the flow and elevation changes. If it works, 1.5-1.8 miles would be ok. If it doesn't flow, it won't be much fun regardless of what you drive.

PS: FWD is always the suck.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

^^^ You're a funny guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    It will all be about the flow and elevation changes. If it works, 1.5-1.8 miles would be ok. If it doesn't flow, it won't be much fun regardless of what you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    ^^^ You're a funny guy...
    Bettencourt speaks the troof!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

You guys have seen the New York safety track? It's in davenport ny...track is there facilities are not yet.
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

I don't think that track ever have plans on doing a racing.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I don't think that track ever have plans on doing a racing.
    Idk...there is a lot of talk of them trying to comply with scca safety rules...runoff, tire-walls, etc. I'm kind of hoping they get it together its only 45 minutes from my house. People are definitely testing there and they run motorcycles safely so there is plenty of runoff. Lol
    #72 ITE Scirocco
    NARRC ITE champion 2011

"Bryar Motorsport Park(NHMS, now but only a great RR track then)"

Bryar had both a 5/8 mile and 1/3 mile oval track. They also ran the road course both CW and CCW
    Last edited by PDoane; 01-10-2013 at 01:59 PM.

FYI, nice website and progress is being made!! I think they plan on updates on the site every week this summer.

http://thompsonspeedway.com/index.php

Stephen

Looks like it may have more elevation change than I ever thought it had... I don't really remember this track at all even though I know I walked it during an autocross when I was a kid

Stephen
    Attached Images Attached Images

If thats where I think it is, I'm going to imagine that was leveled at least a few years ago. Given where the 'current' course would loop back into the woods before shooting out towards the road along the edge of the property, there is a cut through so to speak that goes maybe 100ish feet where the road course exits the oval, makes a 90 degree right, straight for ~200 yards, then another 90 degree right to re-join the course.

That being said, there is still some rolling elevation change, but nothing drastic.

Default Thompson

For those that don't know Thompson, this roadcourse is actually for the most part in place now. It is mostly the last version of that was run into the 80's. So it is a matter of refurbishing what is there.

The owner is also a golf course designer, so at the same location is a very nice 18 hole course. the 5/8 mile banked oval is I believe the first paved NASCAR track. Also on site is a banked quarter midget track.

The place is well run, clean and great food.

There are also plans to possibly add a go-kart sprint course.

So for anyone who thinks racing is for southerners, Connecticut was a founder of Nascar, and for a small state we have LRP, Thompson, Waterford and Stafford. Two road courses and three ovals. We also have the Consumer Reports Automobile Testing Center.

If you like racing, we are your state. But you'll also need to like high taxes, housing costs and negative job growth.

Quote Originally Posted by JChimbolo View Post
    For those that don't know Thompson, this roadcourse is actually for the most part in place now. It is mostly the last version of that was run into the 80's. So it is a matter of refurbishing what is there.

The owner is also a golf course designer, so at the same location is a very nice 18 hole course. the 5/8 mile banked oval is I believe the first paved NASCAR track. Also on site is a banked quarter midget track.

The place is well run, clean and great food.

There are also plans to possibly add a go-kart sprint course.

So for anyone who thinks racing is for southerners, Connecticut was a founder of Nascar, and for a small state we have LRP, Thompson, Waterford and Stafford. Two road courses and three ovals. We also have the Consumer Reports Automobile Testing Center.

If you like racing, we are your state. But you'll also need to like high taxes, housing costs and negative job growth.
    Well stated. And for anyone wondering (or not), the consumer reports facility is actually the former Connecticut Dragway, which ran till the mid-70's I think.

Thompson should prove to be a great, well rounded facility. The only slight possibly small drawback is its more or less in the middle of no where (as far as CT goes).

Quote Originally Posted by philakamrbean View Post
    And for anyone wondering (or not), the consumer reports facility is actually the former Connecticut Dragway, which ran till the mid-70's I think.
    I was there as late as 1985, which I think was the last year they ran it as a drag strip.
    Bob Legere
    ITB Opel Ascona under construction

Since we are talking so much about Palmer I figured I would update this thread as well!

Lots of progress with a little resistance right now from some locals but I am hoping those hurdles will be gone soon!

Stephen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like it's a tad bit more than a "little"...

Thompson Speedway to be subject of special town meeting

"A $4 million construction plan at the Thompson International Speedway has some residents crying foul about what they see as a flawed approval process. Since June, there have been upgrades made to facilities including the construction of a new entrance, a registration building, a scoring building and a 32-car garage. Plans also call for paving a 1.7-mile road racing track. The project is expected to be complete by June 2014. It will be called the Thompson Speedway Motor Sports Park.

"Resident Nicholas Swearer believes that local and state permit applications should have been filed and approved before construction began in June 2013. He said the construction amounts to an expansion project that will have a significant impact on the environment and the neighboring community."

http://www.remindernews.com/article/...l-town-meeting

Eh......... sounds like one guy trying to make a big stink............
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Doesn't look like he has much ground to stand on either. they seem to have done everything by the book. That isn't a very current pic either. I believe there is a lot of track surface down at this point.
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

Eh......... sounds like one guy trying to make a big stink............
    That's how it's done. Eventually they will form a legal group (google TrackRacket) and ask for money. They will have to settle just like NJMP did. Pretty routine in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post